Streaming issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I'm new to WHS and so far I am fairly happy with it (as a beta). I am able to stream all videos from WHS to my DLNA equipped TV perfectly. I start having issues when I try to stream from the web interface (silverlight). Is this feature fully functional at this time? When I try to stream via the web interface it errors out saying that I possibly dont have a codec or some other issue. Pretty much all of my videos I encode with an MP4 container using H.264 codec. The files will play directly on the server itself so it must have the codec.

Any tips or info? 

Thanks

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 11:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Although VAIL preview does have support for MP4 containers and the H.264 codec, in my experience (the SilverLight client) does not play all container/codec configurations. Or maybe the audio codec or bit-rate in your MP4 videos is the problem? I cant say...

Maybe try (converting your Video's to) MPEG or WMA format to see if the SilverLight interface does work on these formats?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:48 PM

All replies

• Is the error displayed by the Silverlight player? If so, it's likely to be occurring on the client than the server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:39 AM
  • The error does not state the originator but I do receive that error from all of my clients. My clients consist of a mix of Win 7 Ultimate and Premium. Silverlight works very well for the netflix streaming so I am unsure why streaming from WHS would be any different.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 2:53 AM
  • there aren't any mpeg2 or AC3 codec in the build for streaming from the
    interface

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 23:59:19 +0000, bed1 wrote:

>
    >
    >Hello.
    >
    >I'm new to WHS and so far I am fairly happy with it (as a beta). I am able to stream all videos from WHS to my DLNA equipped TV perfectly. I start having issues when I try to stream from the web interface (silverlight). Is this feature fully functional at this time? When I try to stream via the web interface it errors out saying that I possibly dont have a codec or some other issue. Pretty much all of my videos I encode with an MP4 container using H.264 codec. The files will play directly on the server itself so it must have the codec.
    >
    >Any tips or info? 
    >
    >Thanks

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:39 AM
  • When I stream videos (mpeg4, wmv) via Remote Access Website, the quality is significantly reduced compared to the actual file.  Is the quality being limited by my upload bandwidth or the Vail OS?  If its Vail is it reasonably forseeable that this will be improved?  (just built new server, never used WHSv1).  Thanks.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 2:10 PM
  • VAIL will automatically scale video streams to the connection bandwith. So your video quality may depend, from anywhere to low-res upto full HD. Also in my experience the quality may depend on the videos codec and compression efficiency. I have a number of Video that display in full HD while others that report a higher bit-rate perform noticably less.

- Theo.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:37 PM
  • Hi,

Although VAIL preview does have support for MP4 containers and the H.264 codec, in my experience (the SilverLight client) does not play all container/codec configurations. Or maybe the audio codec or bit-rate in your MP4 videos is the problem? I cant say...

Maybe try (converting your Video's to) MPEG or WMA format to see if the SilverLight interface does work on these formats?

- Theo.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:48 PM
  • I include two audio streams in all my encodes. My intention is to allow what ever extender I am using to be able to pick the best audio it can play. The secondary codec is for universal support since anything should be able to use it. You would think that WHS would be able to choose a codec it supports when multiple are present.

Here is the codec and stream info for one of the videos I have made. All mine look the same way. You tell me if this looks like it should not work.

Stream 0

Type: Video

Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part10) (avc1)

Resolution: 720x352

Frame rate: 23.977755

Stream 1

Type: Audio

Codec: A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52)

Language: English    

Channels: 3F2R/LFE

Sample rate: 48000 Hz

Bitrate:448 kb/s

Stream 2

Type: Audio

Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)

Language: English    

Channels: 2

Sample rate: 48000 Hz

Bits per sample: 16

Bitrate: 1536 kb/s

• Edited by bed1 Friday, August 13, 2010 6:16 PM typo
    Friday, August 13, 2010 6:14 PM
  • Please read the "Windows Home Server Code Name Vail Preview Release Notes"? It states:
    Issue
    MPEG2 video encoder and decoders, and AC3 Dolby Digital audio encoders are not available in this preview release of Windows Server "Vail".
    Description
    Streaming MPEG2 and Dolby digital media files is not available in this release.
    Solution
    There is no workaround.

I read this as the AC3 audio codec is not supported by VAIL preview.
    [Edit:  - please ignore - AAC is suported as Ken correctly noted
    From experience I do also know that AAC is not supported. As a result your Video will either play without audio or not at all as apparently is the case when trying to play from the SilverLight client.]

Please note that the current version of VAIL is a preview version: beta software that still has problems and ommisions.  I personally do expect additional codecs and formats will be supported for the final release (and to answer any follow-up question: No, I do not know of any official statement from MS that specifies what codecs will actually be supported in VAIL RTM).

- Theo.

Friday, August 13, 2010 7:18 PM
  • You noticed the AC3 but did you also notice the second Audio stream? If one audio stream is unsupported but a supported alternative is available you'd think that WHS would be smart enough to pick the parts it CAN work with.
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 1:15 AM
  • You noticed the AC3 but did you also notice the second Audio stream? If one audio stream is unsupported but a supported alternative is available you'd think that WHS would be smart enough to pick the parts it CAN work with.
    I don't think any OS would be "smart enough" to do that.  It's probably going to try to play the first audio track it sees.  In your case, it's AC3.  If the streams were reversed (AAC as stream 1 and AC3 as stream 2), it would probably work.  In any event, all of this is irrelevent because it's known that the codecs aren't there in this beta build.  Those missing codecs should be included in a future build.
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 3:45 AM
  • AAC is a supported codec per the Vail Getting Started Guide, but it's possible that your bitrate is too high, or something about the way you've encoded your audio (or video) is causing a problem. Remember, there are a lot of options for most codecs, when encoding/transcoding media.

AC3 is definitely not in this build, but I disagree with kariya that Vail won't be able to find a supported codec. If there are several streams, and only some are supported, Vail should be able to pick one that's supported as long as A) it's supported all the way down the line (including any options), or B) Vail can transcode it (including options) "on the fly" to a fully supported format.

Saturday, August 14, 2010 1:39 PM
  • Will Mpeg2 and AC3 be supported in final release?  Most of my media is saved with that format.
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 12:40 AM
  • Will Mpeg2 and AC3 be supported in final release?  Most of my media is saved with that format.

This is documented in the Release Notes and Getting Started Guide.
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:01 PM