Windows 7 no longer reporting as genuine, key appears blocked RRS feed

• Question

• So long story short, my computer is telling me that Windows 7 is no longer genuine.

It has been working fine for over the past year, since I bought it from Microsoft's online store. I haven't made any sort of HW changes.

Sunday, September 4, 2011 12:40 PM

Answers

• Resolved...

Seems this is already a known matter with MS. 

Call: 866-530-6364

Explain you're getting the No Longer Genuine message. Rep reported that it seems a lot of keys have been blocked due to them being refunded on MS's side, but not on the user's side. He issued me a new key (he cannot email it or update your account) and I retried the activation and it worked. 

• Marked as answer by firex726 Sunday, September 4, 2011 2:38 PM
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 2:38 PM

All replies

• Contact the Microsoft Store where you opened your account.  Several users are reporting that the Microsoft Store had a problem this week causing this sort of non-genuine notice.  They report that the Microsoft Store is resolving the issue.

You should still comply with announcement 1 at the top of this page to ensure that this is the issue.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 2:24 PM
    Answerer
  • Resolved...

Seems this is already a known matter with MS. 

Call: 866-530-6364

Explain you're getting the No Longer Genuine message. Rep reported that it seems a lot of keys have been blocked due to them being refunded on MS's side, but not on the user's side. He issued me a new key (he cannot email it or update your account) and I retried the activation and it worked. 

• Marked as answer by firex726 Sunday, September 4, 2011 2:38 PM
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 2:38 PM
  • Thanks for letting us know. I suspect many will happy to hear this.
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 2:45 PM
    Answerer