System reinstall with a new motherboard RRS feed

• Question

• hi all

changed my nvidia 680sli mb with 6 onboard sata ports and a SI3124 SATA card for the other four hard drives to an energy efficient gigabyte ep45-ds5 with onboard sata ports

on bootup the system disc notices the frst six drives

Drive 0   sys and data
    Drive 1 Data
    Drive 2 Data
    Drive 3 Data
    Drive 4 Data
    Drive 5 Data

Because the 4 ports on a gigabyte board are useless as JBOD i have had to use my sata card again

loading the drivers they come up as

Drive 7 Data
    Drive 8 Data
    Drive 9 Data

i do NOT get the server reinstallation option

Is this because it apppears to loose drive 6 ?

Any ideas

thanks in advance
    Friday, August 28, 2009 11:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    a missing drive may be the reason for a server reinstall not being offered, as well as missing information on other drives.
    Also the driver behavior (load timing?) can play a role (since Drive 0 is already is adjusted as disk 0 according to your text) the sequence should not matter.
    Unfortunately there is no way to force a server reinstall full manually in such situations.

Does the system attempt boot from system disk, if you try so?
    If not, the boot sequence in Bios may be messed up.

If nothing else remains, you can go the hard way as described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    (But if all disks are full, this will really become a hard way.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, August 28, 2009 12:13 PM
  • yep the system attempts a boot from system disc and then bsod

ALL drives are seen by bios but disc 6 appears to be called disc 7 and disc 7 is disc 8 disc 8 is disc 9 etc

so where are the disc numbers stored ?

Microsoft really NEED to sort these type of issues out as connecting up 10X 1tb disc to usb enclosures to save your data is a right pain in the @@@@@@

thanks for your help

Friday, August 28, 2009 12:21 PM
  • ok

if i have to connect each hard drive to a usb unit and copy files over i have noticed that the de folder is the main one to copy over

BUT what about the folder in the root of drive (D) data

shares  this also seems to have many folders with items as well

totally confused now
    Friday, August 28, 2009 6:05 PM
  • just to clarify

quote from above guide

• Within the folder DE you should find a subfolder shares.
  • This contains parts or all (or none) of the data in the former shared folders or duplicates of this data (if Folder Duplication was selected).
  • Copy this data either to the new server installation by accessing the server shares through the desktop shortcut Shared Folders on server or to another storage location. Do never target the file system of drives belonging to Windows Home Server directly (i.e. d:\shares)!
  • Repeat this for each DATA disk.

• Is That The ONLY folder DE/Shares that you need to copy over  Full path DATA/DE/Shares

Because i aslo have DATA/Shares with many folders inside photos music etc etc

Friday, August 28, 2009 6:11 PM
  • D:\Shares is the folder with the shared folders and tombstones (kind of pointers) targetting the files, which may be located on various disks transparent for the user. DE\shares is the location, in which files are really stored on the various disks. But they must be distributed to that location via the share \\server\sharename and not to the disk directly, because otherwise drive extender will not be able to control and handle the distribution including duplication and tombstones. So you copy from Drive:\DE\shares\sharename on the old disk to \\server\sharename.
    Best greetings from Germany Olaf
    Friday, August 28, 2009 6:16 PM
  • Olaf

I have taken out a drive on port 0

and have copied the files you have told me to backup above DE/Shares

i have installed a temp 80gb hard drive in that port and have now got a server reinstal option again

following another thread about deleting the sys partion which got me a little concerned so i thought lets change the hard drive instead

it it works 100% i can then once i have copied my files from my 1tb drive put it back in and all should be well

Thanks so much for your help

Regards and greetings from bonnie scotland
    Friday, August 28, 2009 6:30 PM
  • well it looks like ms have struck again

Need to do a full installation and transfer 10tb of data :-(

BSOD when getting so far after first reboot
    Friday, August 28, 2009 7:40 PM
  • BSOD after first reboot is at the stage, in which you need to provide the mass storage drivers a second time via floppy (at the F6 screen).
    If you have no floppy, you can try and inject the driver files into the precopied files on drive C: by booting Windows repair environment from a Vista or Win 7 DVD and opening the cmd prompt there. Copy the inf file to C:\Windows\inf and the other files to C:\Windows\system32\drivers (if those folders already exist, I think I did that method once long ago). All the files need to be extracted of course.
    After doing so swap the installation DVD in again before rebooting.
    Olaf
    Friday, August 28, 2009 8:52 PM
  • well it looks like ms have struck again

Need to do a full installation and transfer 10tb of data :-(

BSOD when getting so far after first reboot

Another option (in addition to what Olaf said) is to set your SATA ports into Legacy/IDE mode (if your BIOS has an option like that).  WHS should then install without a hitch because it won't need SATA drivers.
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 5:40 AM
  • set your SATA ports into Legacy/IDE mode

Considering the number of drives attached to the controller I don't think that will work well.
    Olaf
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 12:23 PM
  • thanks for your input guys

there is an option that sata ports 0-3 on intel ich10r southbridge and that is set to legacy mode

Just as a side note the first page of bios shows NO discs in

ide channel 0
    ide channel 1
    ide channel 2
    ide channel 3
    ide channel 4
    ide channel 5
    ide channel 6

alough on most boards these would show as sata drives
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 6:46 PM
  • well i put the sil 1324 files on a floppy

After the first reboot i ignore the boot from cd/dvd option by pressing any key

it then shows the blue windows instalation screen

and says press f6 for raid or scsi drives

this id do but nothing happens

it then says press f2 for asr

this i do to check f keys are working and it says insert floppy disc

so back at square 1
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 8:07 PM
  • The window for pressing F6 is small. Try again; this time start tapping it every tenth of a second or so starting a second or so before you expect the prompt, and continuing until it's displayed.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 8:28 PM
  • ken

i have tried to no avail to get f6 to work

tried another keyboard and also changed from usb to ps 2 still the same

What i cannot understand is when i installed on the nvidia 680 sli rig i had the same setup six onboard sata ports and using the same card for the extra four hard drives

when i did that intsal only once was i asked for the sata controller drivers and once it rebooted all was fine and dandy
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 11:09 AM
  • Do not insert the floppy before you did press the F6 key.
    Olaf
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 11:14 AM
  • good morning olaf

you were correct the floppy was in the drive all the time

however i have ejected it and still the same issue just before the blue windows setup screen it looks for the floppy drive it then says press f6 to instal but nothing will get it to work

when the f2 for asr comes up just one press and i am away asking for a floppy disc :-(

thanks
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 11:21 AM
  • Is it an internal or an USB floppy drive?

Besides that, with the USB stick or the floppy already attached during the boot process and using the mentioned Vista or Win7 DVD and its command prompt in the repair environment you should be able to copy the files with the copy command from there to the locations I said. You only need to figure out the drive letter of the source and know a little bit about DOS commands.
    Olaf
    Monday, August 31, 2009 3:56 AM
  • well guys i gave in

thanks for all your help

it was a pain in the bbbbbbbbbb

so i went back to my old motherboard and did a server instal

HOWEVER the stystem disc is showing its a 1tb disc but the disc name is showing as the old system disc a 320 gb one :-(
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 3:49 PM