Help and advice on Microsoft certification RRS feed

• Question

• Looking for some help and advice regarding Microsoft training.  I'm sort of stuck, so I'm looking for ideas on how to proceed.  My interests include Windows Server and ASP.NET.  But that's all I know for sure.

I was thinking of doing the t & c for MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit (Exams 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, 70-647): Windows Server® 2008 Enterprise Administrator Core Requirements.  There's a set of manuals on Amazon for this.  My questions are these:

- is there any problem with these now that Server 2008 R2 has been released?  any differences that I'll need to know?

- am I too late to the 2008 party or would I be better off waiting for the next release of Windows Server?

- (a bigger question) -- should I even bother with Server training?  Or will my knowledge be obsolete when everyone moves to the cloud?  :)

Then there's .NET training.  I have some web development background.  I just don't know what to do, so for many years I've done nothing.  I can't decide.

Sorry for the whining!  Can anyone offer advice?  Thank you so much!

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 6:31 PM

Answers

• Hi

Ok I will try to answer your questions.

1. The main core features of Windows 2008 are covered and I think there are some additions to the exam based on the R2 content but these questions are being phased in. Main concepts will still be on Windows 2008

2. Are you too late to the 2008 party. Not by a long shot. There are still people finishing their 2003 exams at the moment :D

3. People will still want and need to use onsite server software especially that virtualisation is becoming a more and more in demand skill. While it looks like everything is evaporating to the cloud, its only on a light flame (ok enough analogies!). Cloud takeup is still in the hype stage while moving slowly towards the demand side.

I would suggest at doing the Server Admin cert before doing the Enterprise Admin cert. This allows you some flexibilty in getting your certs and a base camp to attempt the Enterprise Admin cert.

On the development side of things well thats a bit more complex as you have 3 frameworks to chose from giving you a total 6 different certifications and a higher number of paths to these ends.

So a question to you. What is your experience in server/infrastructure admin and additionally what are you working in right now.

Blog: http://www.certsandprogs.com

70-515 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-536 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-505 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-562 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-433 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Friday, June 4, 2010 5:06 AM
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:03 PM

All replies

• Hi

Ok I will try to answer your questions.

1. The main core features of Windows 2008 are covered and I think there are some additions to the exam based on the R2 content but these questions are being phased in. Main concepts will still be on Windows 2008

2. Are you too late to the 2008 party. Not by a long shot. There are still people finishing their 2003 exams at the moment :D

3. People will still want and need to use onsite server software especially that virtualisation is becoming a more and more in demand skill. While it looks like everything is evaporating to the cloud, its only on a light flame (ok enough analogies!). Cloud takeup is still in the hype stage while moving slowly towards the demand side.

I would suggest at doing the Server Admin cert before doing the Enterprise Admin cert. This allows you some flexibilty in getting your certs and a base camp to attempt the Enterprise Admin cert.

On the development side of things well thats a bit more complex as you have 3 frameworks to chose from giving you a total 6 different certifications and a higher number of paths to these ends.

So a question to you. What is your experience in server/infrastructure admin and additionally what are you working in right now.

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Friday, June 4, 2010 5:06 AM
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:03 PM
  • Thank you for the reply; it's helpful.

I've basically been doing desktop support for nine years, in a team lead capacity for four years.  I don't really have any practical server admin experience, but it's something I think I could learn.  If R2 questions are being phased in, how will that information be integrated into the training?  New editions of the textbooks or ...?  When you say Server Admin cert, which specific exam do you mean?

A stab in the dark -- which path (Server or .NET) do you think has the best long-term job prospects?

Thanks again.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:25 PM
  • Hi

Ok branching off into development having being out of it for so long might be a steep learning curve (its doable, just you would need a lot of effort and starting from the bottom rung again)

The MCITP Server Admin is the MCSA equiv on Server 2008 .. its three exams

Exam 70-640

Exam 70-642

Exam 70-646

As for R2 questions being phased in, this is purely a guess tho I can fire off an email to the relevant parties in MSL and try to get you an answer. If they are being introduced you will more than likely see a new edition of the textbox.

From my point of view, if you are doing mostly client support, I would build up to the Enterprise Admin through the Server Admin. Yes you can learn it and it will probably come easier to you than the development track. What are you currently supporting`?

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:37 PM
  • Yeah, it would be interesting to know if there'll be a new series of books with R2 updates.  It looks like all the self-paced training kits are from about two years ago.  I wonder if I should wait before investing in those.

I'm supporting a Vista/Win7 environment in AD.  I've done some VB scripting and a bit of Powershell.  I've done on and off PHP/MySQL development for many years, but I wouldn't say that I'm a pro at any of it.  I've also done quite a bit of javascript.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:48 PM
  • Would you consider the Vista or Windows 7 series of exams and then build up to the Windows 2008 set. It will give you a good basis and coverage of your existing skillset.

PHP is very different to ASP.NET and so I would say it might be best to leave that one.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:08 PM
  • I'm really not interested in Vista/Win7 certification.  I think I'm pretty well beyond that and need something more challenging and advanced, something that would allow me to move up.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:29 PM
  • Ok thats a fair enough point. You will however need to get one client exam for the Enterprise Admin certification. I would still suggest going the SA and then EA route.

Also based on feedback, it seems that the exams are 2008 for the moment but R2 will be phased in eventually

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:31 PM
  • OK, so this package seems like it would be a correct fit:

http://www.amazon.com/Self-Paced-Training-70-640-70-642-70-643/dp/0735625727/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274130368&sr=8-2

Yes?

And one other thing, a previous question, if you have an opinion: which path (Server or .NET) do you think has the best long-term job prospects?

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:54 PM
  • Server vs .NET?  

This is a rather subjective question.  Which do you prefer?  Are you a developer at heart, or do you prefer working with systems?  There'll be job prospects down either of those paths, but I'd recommend going with something that will make you happy!   :)  

And if you do refrain from the Dark Side and choose to go down the Server path, it's well worth jumping onto the Server 2008 boat.  Most of the companies I've been working with are still on a Server 2003 infrastructure.  Some are considering migrating over to 2008 for additional functionality, but that basically means that there will still be a demand for people with Server 2008 (and Server 2003) skills for several more years. 

If I were a hiring manager, I would be more inclined to hire candidates with strong Server 2003 skills and maybe just a brush with Server 2008 than I would be with someone with only Server 2008 certs (and/or whatever is beyond 2008!). 

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 10:36 PM
  • Thanks Dorian.  What's your opinion on cloud computing vs Windows Server?  Timeline?
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 2:29 PM