Acer Aspire WHS - Wallpaper RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to figure out why I cannot change my desktop wallpaper on my Acer Aspire WHS.

I can get to the desktop wallpaper settings via a right click on desktop/properties - I can see the various wallpapers but I cannot click on anything. It is like the click function is just disabled.

I have a bmp image I wish to use as my wallpaper and I saved it to my whs, I can open that image and right click to set it as wallpaper but it just won't set as the wallpaper.

I can change the color of my desktop background - I just cannot use any image. (this plain color background bores me).

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:41 PM

All replies

• Your Acer Aspire is not designed to be used as a desktop system, so what you want to do is unsupported and not really needed (yo9u should really not be logging in to your server regularly using remote desktop). In addition, by default desktop wallpapers aren't shown in a remote desktop session. You can learn how to change this by clicking the Help button in the Remote Desktop Connection window.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 14, 2009 3:27 AM
  • I remote connect to the WHS desktop about once a month (maybe 2 times) just to check things out (antivirus etc).

Wallpaper isn't a big issue but I like a nice look. I realize it may slow down my remote connection but I fail to see any other problems with having it enabled.

I found no real help in the RDC options.

In the gpedit terminal services..  it is not enforcing removal of wallpaper.

Perseverance is one of my greater virtues but it is looking like I am stuck with an ugly desktop once or twice a month.

I think it odd that I can use a screensaver but can't use a wallpaper. I did figure out that if I open the image I want to use, in Paint and then set it as a centered wallpaper from Paint, it works!      But it only works while I am remote connected - its back to a bland color background when I reconnect.
    Monday, December 14, 2009 5:22 AM
  • You should have installed an Antivirus solution which is aware of Windows Home Server and can be managed via console. In this context is no need to logon to the server desktop locally.
    If you still deem this feature to be that necessary: did you check the Experience tab in the Options of your RDP client for its desktop background settings?
    This article may also be interesting to read.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 14, 2009 1:09 PM
  • The "should have" implication is a false assumption. My antivirus program has been working fine with the console and the console has been alerting me of any concerns so far.

While I appreciate the support and concern about RD logging onto the server this is precisely like me telling you this: "Do not ever open up the hood of your car and look at the engine" because you have all the bells and whistles and lights in the driver seat.

Sorry, I am a technician by trade, I am going to open the hood and look at the engine from time to time. Besides, any program I wish to install has to be done this way and I don't have any add in that works with my security cam, so I RDP to check on that. 

Furthermore, antivirus programs and any add-in's, any software for that matter is susceptible to fallibility; the console is not bullet proof.

Thank you for the link to that article but I have tried those exact suggestions already and it simply does not work.
    Monday, December 14, 2009 7:59 PM
  • Heh. Your analogy to the engine compartment of a car is more apt than you think. Just as there are things an inexperienced driver might do under the hood which could cause problems, there are things which an inexperienced Windows Home Server user might do using a desktop session (remote or direct) which could cause problems.

There is a difference, however: in general people don't tend to change things randomly under the hood of the car, because a car is a large, expensive piece of equipment which could hurt people (possibly the driver) severely if things go wrong, and because most people don't have a very good understanding of how a modern internal combustion engine and it's accessories work.

A Windows Home Server computer on the other hand is, at heart, a computer. People with familiarity with one type of computer will tend to want to do the things that they did previously on their servers, even though in some cases (changing a disk from Basic to Dynamic, for example) that change will cause data loss. Anti-virus is a perfect example of this. Some users have found that, when they install certain antivirus products on their servers, those AV products see normal operation of the server as virus-like activity and start to block access to files in the shares. Thus Olaf's recommendation that you use only an AV product designed for use on Windows Home Server...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 14, 2009 8:51 PM
  • Also the "should have" was not meaned in the sense that I want to enforce you to do so, but that this would be the common and recommended situation for Windows Home Server.
    Since English is not my native language, the wording may sometimes sound different for you than for me :-)
    Besides that, what Ken said, are the backgrounds of this comment.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 14, 2009 9:46 PM
  • LOL

I had a feeling when I used that analogy that I would get that reply. I do not disagree at all - which is why I do appreciate the suggestions and feedback.

Anyway, just as some car geeks like to chrome up their engine then shut the hood, I want my desktop to look better before I close the window. LOL

Olaf, your English is quite fine.

By the way, don't change your fan belt with the motor running.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:11 AM