Why does my genuine Office 2003 say it is not genuine? RRS feed

• Question

• Why does my genuine Office 2003 say it is not genuine?

I bought several legit copies from a Microsoft accredited supplier in 2004/5 and have never had any problems until I recently downloaded your Microsoft so-called genuine advantage update. I have never bought any pirated software or software that is even remotely from a dubious source.

now I am being put through hoops. I have two questions --

1. how do I get rid of this wrong message which implies I am using pirated software?

2. what happens if I don't do anything?

I am very angry that Microsoft if wasting my time like this. I am a supporter of Microsoft for the freedom it has given small businesses. but every now and again you make me pay a heavy price for your software with stunts like this.

please help.

Monday, April 19, 2010 7:02 PM

Answers

• Hello NoelNoel,

Here is a snippet of your mgadiag report:

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

The installation of Office Professional 2003 currently on your Sony computer is a nongenuine installation.  It is a volume licensing installation that was done with a Blocked Volume Licensing Key.  A "blocked" VLK is one that was issued by Microsoft to a business, educational institution, or governmental agency for their exclusive use in accordance with a Volume Licensing Agreement.  (Note that such use does NOT allow the resale of such VLKs.)  However, because the VLK may have been reported lost, stolen, or compromised to the internet by the original keyholder, or because the Volume Licensing Agreement has expired, Microsoft has blocked the VLK from further use.

Normally, legitimate users of Volume Licensing editions of Office are associated with larger business, educational, or governmental organizations.  If that's you, please contact your organization's IT support staff for further assistance.

If your use of this installation of Office Professional 2003 is not associated with a larger business, educational, or governmental organization, and you purchased the installed copy of Office Professional 2003 thinking that it was a retail license to be sold to individual consumers, it is likely that you are a victim of software piracy or counterfeiting.  As an individual consumer, you should never have been sold Volume Licensing (VL) materials such as the VL installation disc and you certainly should not have received a Blocked VLK for Office Professional 2003.  You should have been sold Genuine retail licensed software.

If so, your first course of action is to confront your seller with this information and demand a full refund.

If the seller refuses to help, please file a piracy report at www.microsoft.com/piracy.  Also, depending upon whether you received "high quality" counterfeit materials, you may qualify for the Office Complimentary Offer or for the Office Genuine Advantage discounted offer.  Please see the FAQ here:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#ID0EKNAC  If you think that you qualify for the Genuine Office Offer, apply for the Offer thru the Learn More Online link that the OGA Notifier is displaying.

One other possibility is that at one time your computer did have a Genuine installation of Office installed, but for some reason it was replaced with the current installation which is nongenuine.  This could have happened if you took your computer to a repair shop and they reinstalled Windows and/or some or all of your programs.  You Get Genuine once again by uninstalling the current nongenuine installation of Office and using your Genuine Microsoft hologrammed Office installation CDs, along with the genuine Product Key found on your Office Edition's Certificate of Authenticity or yellow-orange Proof of License label, to put back the genuine installation of Office you may have already had on the computer.

To answer your specific questions:

"1. how do I get rid of this wrong message which implies I am using pirated software?"

A:  There is no Microsoft supported means to uninstall the Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) Notifications Utility that was installed with Update KB949810.  As the report has shown, the message is currently correct.

"2. what happens if I don't do anything?"

A:  Your nongenuine installation of Office Professional 2003 will be "marked as nongenuine."  This means that there will be an additional menu item related to the use of Genuine Software, and that occasionally (startup of Office programs) you will be presented with a Notification that your computer has nongenuine software installed.  Your Office program will not lose one bit of functionality, and no changes whatsoever will be made to your existing and to-be-created documents.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Monday, April 19, 2010 9:28 PM

All replies

• Hello NoelNoel,

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click the "Continue" button, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into your post.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Monday, April 19, 2010 7:32 PM
  • But why do I have to do that?

I know my software is genuine. I asked two specific questions and I'd be grateful if you would answer them BEFORE I waste any more time. Given your answers, I will think about going through some more hoops.

I think that's the least you can do, given that I did not ask for that update to post an offensive message on my computer screen about software I bought from legit Microsoft sales channels.

So could you please tell me...

1. how do I get rid of this wrong message which implies I am using pirated software?

2. what happens if I don't do anything?

thank you.
    Monday, April 19, 2010 7:38 PM
  • Stupid old me... I went ahead and pressed the CONTINUE" Button before you answered my questions. My computer instantly froze and then rebooted.

It's OK -- I only lost a few hours of my work.

here's what the report said -- so please now answer my questions:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-667R8-3Y7KQ-V749C
    Windows Product Key Hash: Y/uBdOC+uBapxz0ptjGZJ3ZkptQ=
    Windows Product ID: 55276-013-6779402-22085
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {FE3E9504-53FE-4EB3-9F44-C11234022DAF}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 2.0.48.0
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{FE3E9504-53FE-4EB3-9F44-C11234022DAF}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-V749C</PKey><PID>55276-013-6779402-22085</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2876465534-681389280-1482099487</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Sony Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>PCV-RZ502P(CE)</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>1001    </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20031210000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>8E8C3607018400F2</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Sony Corporation</name><model>VAIO Desktop series</model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="2.0.48.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57348</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="114"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 173A2:GENUINE C&C INC|1DFC0:Sony Corporation|1DFC0:Sony Corporation ITCNC
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Monday, April 19, 2010 7:55 PM
  • Hello NoelNoel,

Here is a snippet of your mgadiag report:

OGA Data-->

The installation of Office Professional 2003 currently on your Sony computer is a nongenuine installation.  It is a volume licensing installation that was done with a Blocked Volume Licensing Key.  A "blocked" VLK is one that was issued by Microsoft to a business, educational institution, or governmental agency for their exclusive use in accordance with a Volume Licensing Agreement.  (Note that such use does NOT allow the resale of such VLKs.)  However, because the VLK may have been reported lost, stolen, or compromised to the internet by the original keyholder, or because the Volume Licensing Agreement has expired, Microsoft has blocked the VLK from further use.

Normally, legitimate users of Volume Licensing editions of Office are associated with larger business, educational, or governmental organizations.  If that's you, please contact your organization's IT support staff for further assistance.

If your use of this installation of Office Professional 2003 is not associated with a larger business, educational, or governmental organization, and you purchased the installed copy of Office Professional 2003 thinking that it was a retail license to be sold to individual consumers, it is likely that you are a victim of software piracy or counterfeiting.  As an individual consumer, you should never have been sold Volume Licensing (VL) materials such as the VL installation disc and you certainly should not have received a Blocked VLK for Office Professional 2003.  You should have been sold Genuine retail licensed software.

If so, your first course of action is to confront your seller with this information and demand a full refund.

If the seller refuses to help, please file a piracy report at www.microsoft.com/piracy.  Also, depending upon whether you received "high quality" counterfeit materials, you may qualify for the Office Complimentary Offer or for the Office Genuine Advantage discounted offer.  Please see the FAQ here:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#ID0EKNAC  If you think that you qualify for the Genuine Office Offer, apply for the Offer thru the Learn More Online link that the OGA Notifier is displaying.

One other possibility is that at one time your computer did have a Genuine installation of Office installed, but for some reason it was replaced with the current installation which is nongenuine.  This could have happened if you took your computer to a repair shop and they reinstalled Windows and/or some or all of your programs.  You Get Genuine once again by uninstalling the current nongenuine installation of Office and using your Genuine Microsoft hologrammed Office installation CDs, along with the genuine Product Key found on your Office Edition's Certificate of Authenticity or yellow-orange Proof of License label, to put back the genuine installation of Office you may have already had on the computer.

To answer your specific questions:

"1. how do I get rid of this wrong message which implies I am using pirated software?"

A:  There is no Microsoft supported means to uninstall the Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) Notifications Utility that was installed with Update KB949810.  As the report has shown, the message is currently correct.

"2. what happens if I don't do anything?"

A:  Your nongenuine installation of Office Professional 2003 will be "marked as nongenuine."  This means that there will be an additional menu item related to the use of Genuine Software, and that occasionally (startup of Office programs) you will be presented with a Notification that your computer has nongenuine software installed.  Your Office program will not lose one bit of functionality, and no changes whatsoever will be made to your existing and to-be-created documents.

Monday, April 19, 2010 9:28 PM
  • Apart from the several version of Office 2003 that I bought from legit Microsoft dealers, I was given one copy with a genuine hologrammed disk... by a business contact who is a director of Microsoft. I guess this is the one I am complaining about. are you saying I need to tell a director of Microsoft that he gave me a non-genuine copy of Office?
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:01 PM
  • Hello NoelNoel,

You wrote, "are you saying I need to tell a director of Microsoft that he gave me a non-genuine copy of Office?"

Yes, that is a very likely explanation.

The OGA status of Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2 indicates that the Volume Licensing Key used to install this volume licensing installation of Office is a product key that Microsoft issued to itself for the internal use of its own employees.  This was leaked to the internet and is one of the most widely pirated Microsoft Product Keys which is why it was blocked from further use.

If you run the Magical Jellybean Keyfinder utility (or Belarc advisor, or equivalent) to see the product key used to install this installation of Office, you will find that the product key ends in 3HFDY.

If you look on the disc that you were given, it has "Volume License Product Key Required" and "All use subject to volume license agreement" and "Not for retail or OEM distribution.  Not for resale" printed on it.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:26 PM