WHS 2011 server backup to dedicated drive - drive space below 10% alert on backup storage drive RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Backup used for backing up the WHS 2011 itself provides for automated retention
    of its backups to the destination; there is no way to manage retention limits with it.
    However, in WHS 2011 the server backup and it’s corresponding automatically
    managed destination dedicated drive still crosses a storage threshold that
    invokes a WHS 2011 drive space alert. My client, whom has been using WHS 2011,
    now has this alert getting thrown as the destination drive has filled up beyond
    the size WHS alerts upon reaching (less than 10% free). In this case something has to give. Can the
    retention threshold be tweaked so that it complies with the desired WHS 2011
    limits? ...or Can the WHS 2011 alert be given better logic so to know that for
    a Windows Backup drive such storage thresholds are the norm and no alert should
    get thrown?

Simply put - What needs done to avoid the WHS default drive space below 10% alert on the Windows
    Backup storage drive? Manually removing older backups is an inadequate fix for
    what is intended to be an unmanaged and entirely automated environment; it
    certainly can be done programmatically. Disabling the alert also is not very
    good.

Dale Unroe

• Edited by Dale DU-IT Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:44 PM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:37 PM

Answers

• ... What needs done to avoid the WHS default drive space below 10% alert on the Windows Backup storage drive? ...
    The answer to this, as I said above, is "nothing". You can ignore the warning but it will eventually come back. You can push back when you first see the warning by using a larger drive, but (again) it will eventually fill up, and Windows Home Server will start warning about low disk space again. And the only way to get Microsoft to do anything about this is to raise the visibility of the issue on Connect.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Thursday, March 22, 2012 11:58 AM
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 11:58 AM

All replies

• You can't avoid the alert, I'm afraid. You can ignore it in the dashboard, but I believe it will eventually come back as a new alert.

You might want to submit a product suggestion on Connect, or vote for one that's already there.

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:59 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Dale DU-IT Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Thursday, March 22, 2012 11:34 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Dale DU-IT Thursday, March 22, 2012 11:36 AM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 3:17 PM
  • my customer isn't paying me to help Microsoft develop their products and neither is Microsoft for that matter - the information provided here is freely available for the developers to read ...and IMO they should if they want to fix the flawed products they are producing

Dale Unroe

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 4:37 PM
  • It's your choice whether to submit a product suggestion or not (and I don't really care all that much one way or the other, as the alert doesn't bother me), but for the most part reports and suggestions in social media are useless from a product development standpoint.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 4:52 PM
  • On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 16:37:45 +0000, Dale DU-IT wrote:

my customer isn't paying me to help Microsoft develop their products and neither is Microsoft for that matter - the information provided here is freely available for the developers to read ...and IMO?they should if they want to fix the flawed products they are producing

In addition to Ken's comments, keep in mind that we're talking about
    Windows Home Server here. If your customer is in fact a business then
    perhaps they should be looking at one of the SBS products, rather than one
    designed for home use.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Bug: Small living things that small living boys throw on small living
    girls.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 6:23 PM
  • As an 10 year SBS focused consultant and a current SBS MCTS I am well aware of, as well as, have a personal commitment to provide the appropriate solution to match small business client needs.  ...and no I don't oversell a multi-thousand dollar server solution into an environment where there is no such need.

Dale Unroe

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:45 PM
  • On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 23:45:49 +0000, Dale DU-IT wrote:

As an 10 year SBS focused consultant and a current SBS MCTS I am well aware of, as well as, have a personal commitment to provide the appropriate solution to match small business client needs.? ...and no I don't oversell a multi-thousand dollar server solution?into an environment where there is no such?need.

Fine, good luck,

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    I am a computer -- dumber than any human and smarter than an administrator.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:46 PM
  • ... What needs done to avoid the WHS default drive space below 10% alert on the Windows Backup storage drive? ...
    The answer to this, as I said above, is "nothing". You can ignore the warning but it will eventually come back. You can push back when you first see the warning by using a larger drive, but (again) it will eventually fill up, and Windows Home Server will start warning about low disk space again. And the only way to get Microsoft to do anything about this is to raise the visibility of the issue on Connect.

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Thursday, March 22, 2012 11:58 AM
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 11:58 AM