none
Windows Genuine Advantage RRS feed

• Question

• My computer worked fine for about a year after purchase and then I started receiving the message that I may be a victim of software counterfitting.   This is regarding my Windows XP Professional operating system.  The software came installed on my computer.  The Microsoft certificate of authenticity is secured to the back of my computer and looks just like the example posted on the Microsoft website; blue-green with keyboard.  The product key listed in the diagnostic information is different from the product key listed on my certificate of authenticity.  The certificate is imprinted with "Dell".  I ran the diagnostic program with the following results:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Validation Code: 8
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-VBXXT-3JGT2-F3MXY
    Windows Product Key Hash: duC+C1LfUry2WK7LQn95ywI8vsc=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-640-3050841-23782
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {4F827ED3-181A-4F43-A310-65AC77846897}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.530.0
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80004005
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 5
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2989-80070002_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{4F827ED3-181A-4F43-A310-65AC77846897}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-F3MXY</PKey><PID>76487-640-3050841-23782</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2025429265-448539723-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Latitude D610                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A05</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050811000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>E91B3C07018400E2</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>      <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57409</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{90170409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>5EA9C3672EB0500</Val><Hash>GZD+9sfb5ecL3RxyV4F75a86u2M=</Hash><Pid>72079-640-0000106-55390</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:12 PM

Answers

• Good Morning Agentsranking,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage Forum and providing us with the MGA results. The MGA results allow us to see what you are currently experiencing as well analyzing what may be a cause/s for the problem. The problem which you are experiencing is not uncommon. Recently we have seen several posts from people who have become victims. Below are a few questions I would like to ask. This will provide additional information which may help me with analyzing your current situation.

a.       Did you purchase the computer brand new, used, @ an auction, off the internet or how?

b.       Is the computer a commercial built system or was the system custom built by a local shop? 

c.        Do you have all the original software which was originally installed on the computer @ the time of purchase?

d.      Last has the computer ever been turned in for repairs? 

The Windows XP Professional, Office Professional Edition 2003, and Office FrontPage 2003 product keys installed on this computer were not assigned by Microsoft. The key is counterfeit and was most likely generated by a key generator. The product key found on your computer has been detected on multiple computers. Product keys are only allowed to be used on one computer unless otherwise specified in the end user licensing agreement (EULA). 

For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine .  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take. Also please review the Validation Advisor for further guidance at:  https://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/ValidationHelp.aspx

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you, who have become victims, to report piracy @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx . Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided.  Submitting piracy reports will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeit discs. 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:55 PM

All replies

• Good Morning Agentsranking,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage Forum and providing us with the MGA results. The MGA results allow us to see what you are currently experiencing as well analyzing what may be a cause/s for the problem. The problem which you are experiencing is not uncommon. Recently we have seen several posts from people who have become victims. Below are a few questions I would like to ask. This will provide additional information which may help me with analyzing your current situation.

a.       Did you purchase the computer brand new, used, @ an auction, off the internet or how?

b.       Is the computer a commercial built system or was the system custom built by a local shop? 

c.        Do you have all the original software which was originally installed on the computer @ the time of purchase?

d.      Last has the computer ever been turned in for repairs? 

The Windows XP Professional, Office Professional Edition 2003, and Office FrontPage 2003 product keys installed on this computer were not assigned by Microsoft. The key is counterfeit and was most likely generated by a key generator. The product key found on your computer has been detected on multiple computers. Product keys are only allowed to be used on one computer unless otherwise specified in the end user licensing agreement (EULA). 

For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine .  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take. Also please review the Validation Advisor for further guidance at:  https://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/ValidationHelp.aspx

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you, who have become victims, to report piracy @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx . Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided.  Submitting piracy reports will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeit discs. 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:55 PM
  • I purchased the computer brand new through a seller on ebay about 2 1/2 years ago; I didn't get it super cheap or anything, as I recall I paid around $1500 for my Dell D610.  I think the seller had indicated the computer was one of around 15 that a small business had purchased, they changed their mind and decided to use a different system and the computers were never used by the company.  I received the computer but did not receive any of the original software disks when it came.  The computer has never been in for repair.

Is it relevent that the key on the back of my computer is different than the key generated by the diagnostic software?  The certificate of authenticity looks exactly like the one on the Microsoft website.
    Thursday, December 20, 2007 7:10 PM
  • Agentsranking,

Thank you for the information. Can you provide me with the last 15 digits of the product key that is located on the Certificate of Authenticiation (COA) sticker located on the back of your Dell?  Based on reading your MGA report you were sold a machine which had a non-genuine Windows installed. The product key installed on your computer was not assigned by Microsoft. The key is counterfeit and was most likely generated by a key generator.

Do you have any detailed information from whom you purchased the computer from? If you like I would like to assist you.  Please provide me with any and all information such as:

-  Person's name or company the seller protrayed through EBay. 

-  Website and/or email of the person or company

-  EBay account or profile used by seller

-  Any phone numbers

- What stipulations did the seller request for payment

Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/default.aspx?displaylang=en .   

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does the installed Operating System currently on your Dell match what the COA says? 
    3. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    4. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    5. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    6. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

As far as your question. You may attempt to change the product key using what is on the COA sticker but right now we can not be sure if that key will work or if that key is genuine. Please click on this link; http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx in order to receive detailed instructions for updating and using the Product Key (PK) Update Utility. Next you will be required to select the Windows version currently installed on your system. The PK utility was designed to update the non-genuine key previously used to activate XP and/or Vista with a known good key.

If the non-genuine installation of XP is not too "hacked and cracked" the utility should be able to make Windows genuine.  If you have antivirus, antispyware, or firewall programs installed, please make sure these programs are set to allow the product key update utility to have full access to the internet so it may perform correctly. Please post back to tell us if it worked for you.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, December 20, 2007 7:52 PM