Cannot Install WHS Connector Software RRS feed

• Question

• This is really frustrating.  I did an install of WHS with no problems, I have two machine connected in my network, one is  a desktop running WinXP Pro and other is a laptop running vista ultimate.  I installed the connector on both machine with no problems, and I was able to connect to the server from the vista machine.   However I logged out of the console and later came back and tried to log in again, it did at first but about 1 minute later everything locked up, so I closed it out and reconnected again, this time the connector window came up, but after about a minute  it turned completely and I couldn't see anything but blue then it disconnected from the server.  I've tried over and over again to figure out what's causing this.  I went to the system running XP and it did the same thing. 

I uninstalled the connector software several times on both machines and now it tells me it can't find the server.  I've disabled my firewall on both machines including the server, but nothing change.  I've tried the old version and new version of the connector software.  I even went as far as to completely uninstalled the internet security and firewall.  No change.  How can this be working one minute and not the next on two machine?  Rest my modem/router still nothing.  Everything on the server works fine, except the Windows Home Server Console, when I double click it nothing happens.

If I go to windows explorer and click on Network I can see the server and shared folders, (this is on both machines)  I can ping the server with not problems I even pinged  the server from the server.  All machines are on the same subnet, I've done pretty much everything that's on the Internet to try and fix this problem but no success, where do I go from here?  I've been using WHS for the past 6 months before a hard drive problem so as I said this is a fresh installation.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:54 AM

All replies

• Please open a command prompt and post the output of the command
    ipconfig /all
    I assume, your router attached a DNS suffix or DNS search suffix to the IP address, which will cause the client to attempt name resolution against a DNS server of your ISP in the Internet.
    This can cause unpredictable results, therefore the Console connection fails. If you can establish a Remote Desktop session with the IP address, but not with the name of the server, this can be assumed as the reason.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 8:45 AM
  • Thanks Olaf, here is the information you requested, I don't see an suffix for the DNS

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name: ...............................: serverc1
    Primary Dns Suffix: ....................:
    Node Type: ................................: Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled:.....................: Yes
    Wins Proxy Enabled: ...................:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:.................:
    Description: .........................................: Intel<R> Pro/100 VE Network Connection
    Phsical Address:...................................: 00-07-E9-6C-65-22
    DHCP Enabled:....................................: Yes
    Auto configuration Enabled: ..................: Yes
    IP Address:.........................................: 10.1.1.2
    Subnet Mask: .....................................:255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: ................................: 10.1.1.1
    DHCP Server: .....................................: 10.1.1.1
    DNS Server: .......................................: 10.1.1.1
    Lease Obtained: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:11:50 PM
    Lease Expires: Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:11:50 PM

I appreciate your help

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 10:17 AM
  • Hi,
    this configuration looks perfect.
    I would recommend to get the most up to date network card drivers for the server from the Intel website.
    Also in device manager on the server open the properties of the network adapter and on the Power Management tab disable the entry Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
    Also upgrade the firmware of your router, if both machines are connected directly.
    Are the clients connected by wire or wireless?
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:10 AM
  • Hi Olaf,

Well I did everything you suggested, ugraded the driver for the network adapter, I update the firmware for the router and disable the entry you suggest, but sad to report this didn't fix anything.  Any suggestion where we can go from here, I'm at the point of reinstalling WHS again, again my better judgement
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:22 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

Well it got the best of me so I reformatted the drive and install WHS again and all went well I can not open the console on the server but when I tried to installed the connector on the client I got further than I did before I now sees the server, but the installation gets to the point where is joins the home server, but when it gets to the point of configuring computer backup I get the message it can't configure the backup, it's doing this on both clients.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 7:19 AM
  • that first line should said all went well I can now open the console on the server..sorry
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 7:33 AM
  • Hi Olaf

I sort of fixed the connector problem, I used the old connector software and it went through with no problems.  But as soon as it connect is said that an update to the connector software is available and I have to upgrade.  The question is will the upgrade cause me any problems?

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:14 AM
  • Not to upgrade will cause you problems, since the connector software and the patch level of the WHS must match.
    The easiest would be to install the latest version via http://yourservername:55000
    Olaf
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 9:05 AM
  • Well it seems that I thought I had everything fixed, but today I tried to log into the console and I got nothing, tried several times but nothing.  So once again I uninstalled the connector software and reinstalled and received the error message to "Find my home server manually" and after filling the require information, I get "This operation cannot be completed at this time" what changed overnight and how?
    Monday, October 26, 2009 11:35 PM