Cannot obtain validation code RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm running XP sp2 on my HP laptop, reinstalled from the disc that came with the system.

I'm trying to install the MTP driver which requires me to run the online validation tool. The only response I get is:

"Code not available. The validation code could not be obtained. This May be due to technical difficulties, or you may be running an unsupported operating system. Please close this window and attempt the validation process again, or use the Back button in your Web browser to return to the download detail page. [Error code: 0x80072f07]."

After some Googling, I ended up at the "Genuine Microsoft Software - Diagnostic Site." The diagnostic results are:

Passed Active scripting allowed
    Passed Display images enabled
    Passed Computer time and date correct
    Passed Cookies enabled
    Failed genuine Microsoft software plug-ins are installed and loaded
    Failed

genuine Microsoft software plug-ins connect with Microsoft validation servers

I click the "Resolve Now" button and followed the directions to install WGAPluginInstall.exe and OGAPluginInstall.exe and restarted. I have verified that the npLegitCheckPlugin.dll and nsILegitCheckPlugin.xpt files are where they are supposed to be, however, the diagnostic results continue to be as shown above.

I don't even know if this will fix my original problem of installing the MTP driver, but some help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Saturday, December 22, 2012 9:11 PM

Answers

• Please see:  Windows Genuine Advantage does not validate a copy of Windows XP  Use the native Internet Explorer browser and run the diagnostics.

Carey Frisch

Sunday, December 23, 2012 12:00 AM
  • If what Carey suggest doesn't solve the problem, please post an MGADiag report.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool
    (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
     Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
     To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

Monday, December 24, 2012 12:26 PM

All replies