Windows 7 Build 7600 This copy of Windows is not genuine. RRS feed

• Question

• I have bought a new laptop which is a Dell Studio 1555 from eBay.

The laptop I received is "weird" compared to my other laptops. When I first turned it on, it asks me for stuff like user accounts, passwords, time and date etc. After I've done that, I've noticed that in the bottom corner it says "Windows 7 Build 7600 This copy of Windows is not genuine" and every a period of time or so the laptop freezes completely and I have to turn it off by holding gown the power button. It did say that the seller in eBay mentioned that its a fully genuine windows 7, 100% new and he is rated as a powerseller. (that means he has a lot of positive feedbacks and is rated as a good seller)

I've never had this issue before but this is my first Windows 7 laptop I bought. If there is a fix, then can anyone please tell me how?

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:44 PM

Answers

• Hello PCFr3ak241,

You wrote, "When I first turned it on, it asks me for stuff like user accounts, passwords, time and date etc."

This is absolutely normal, expected, and in fact required by Microsoft for a brand new laptop's first startup by you, the End User.  OTOH, if the laptop does this every time you start it, well, that's a different story--there's something seriously wrong.

Look on the bottom of the laptop (and inside the battery compartment, too) for a Windows Certificate of Authenticity.  If there is a CoA, it will describe which version and edition of Windows is licensed to run on that laptop.  Is it the same version and edition of Windows as that which is actually installed?  (Don't post the product key.)

What happens when you call Dell for tech support?

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:34 AM
  • Ive activated windows 7 using the automated phone system, its fine now
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:46 PM

All replies

• Oh... EBay...
    OK - so if you run the MS Genuine tester, what result do you get?
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine
    post the result here, and we'll see how good the seller really was!

--
    Noel Paton
    CrashFixPC

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    www.crashfixpc.co.uk

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:13 PM
  • Well.... I did what you said but I came into a problem, it says that Im trying to validating it or Im unable to connect
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 7:19 PM
  • Hello PCFr3ak241,

The Non-Genuine issue would not cause the Laptop to freeze.  It is likely that the Non-Genuine issue and the Freezing are both just side effects of a bigger issue (either in Windows or Hardware).

Normally, I would recommend posting a Diagnostic Report (instructions on how to do that are below) but personally, I wouldn't hassle with it.  Return it for a refund and if the seller is difficult, get ebay involved.  ebay has a clause that you can dispute a transaction if the product you get is substantially different then the auction described.  I assume the auction said it was a working Laptop with Genuine Windows. You, instead, got a laptop that Freezes with Windows that is stating it is Non-Genuine...to me that sounds substantially different then the auction described.

It's up to you, though.  If you would like me to look into the Non-genuine issue, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

However, if you decide to return the laptop, be sure to do it quickly since I believe ebay has a 45 day window in which to submit a dispute.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:32 AM
  • Hello PCFr3ak241,

You wrote, "When I first turned it on, it asks me for stuff like user accounts, passwords, time and date etc."

This is absolutely normal, expected, and in fact required by Microsoft for a brand new laptop's first startup by you, the End User.  OTOH, if the laptop does this every time you start it, well, that's a different story--there's something seriously wrong.

Look on the bottom of the laptop (and inside the battery compartment, too) for a Windows Certificate of Authenticity.  If there is a CoA, it will describe which version and edition of Windows is licensed to run on that laptop.  Is it the same version and edition of Windows as that which is actually installed?  (Don't post the product key.)

What happens when you call Dell for tech support?

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:34 AM
  • Under the battery I did found the product key and yes it does have the certificate you mentioned. I tried the product key but it told me that its invalid. :( The version of windows is home premium and home premium is on the certificate.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:00 PM
  • Ive activated windows 7 using the automated phone system, its fine now
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:46 PM
  • Glad you've got it sorted!

--
    Noel Paton
    CrashFixPC

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    www.crashfixpc.co.uk

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 9:30 PM