Windows 7 x64 client, client OS is on a 64gb OCZ Agility3 SSD. WHS 2011 backup (both automatic and manual) always fails with: ClientVssProblem, System.String[] RRS feed

• Question

• WHS 2011 client backup works fine for my girlfriend's laptop, but always fails on my client, and I'm unable to find answers to this problem (so far) on this forum or anywhere else.

My client hardware config:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-VPro
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k
    RAM: 8gb (4096MBx2) of G.Skill DD3-1600 PC3-12800, XMP certified
    Main OS drive: 64GB OCZ Agility3 SSD
    Data drive: 3TB Hitachi HD

- Here is the Windows Server 2011 error from the event viewer:

Backup job 2 on MYSERVER did not succeed. Reason: ClientVssProblem, System.String[]

- Here is the VSS error from the event viewer:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface.  hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
    . This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:
       Gathering Writer Data

Context:
       Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
       Writer Name: System Writer
       Writer Instance ID: {7898a80d-0a0d-42bb-b7ed-223a9fd241fc}

- I've already tried the suggestions from this thread with no luck: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/vss-error-showing-in-event-viewer/34b62c1b-93e6-4848-a9a0-59e3f4019ebb

Does WHS 2011 not support backups on a client using an SSD as the main OS drive, or is there something else going on here?

-James

James K. Rivera Microsoft Access Test Team (Tester for Data Macros in v14)
    Monday, August 22, 2011 7:15 PM

Answers

• The only problem I've been having with the UEFI is that WHS 2011 is choking on it.  As for it not being supported, just putting this in the release notes is just plain lazy.

It would probably have been more work to make this a setup error, but not supporting GPT partitions is pretty serious.  After all, the main purpose is to back up data, and that main purpose fails with GPT.

Sure, you could argue such a thing could be added after setup and thus could not be detected during setup, but if the boot partition is GPT that excuse goes out the window.

-James

James K. Rivera
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 5:48 PM

All replies

• Something else going on. I have SSDs in two of my PCs as system drives, both of which were restored successfully from WHS2011. Indeed, when restoring to an SSD, it creates aligned partitions (even if the original was not aligned) which SSDs like for maximum speed.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, August 22, 2011 7:20 PM
  • Ok, well that helps at least in validating that it *should* work, thanks. :-)

However, it does not help solve my problem, so any further ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-James

James K. Rivera
    Monday, August 22, 2011 7:36 PM
  • Hi James,
    I am afraid there is no simple solution for your problem.
    Unless you find what is causing this, at the end my best advise would be re-installing the client. I know... :-(

Do you have any non-standard software installed for backing up, securing or repairing the system (like Acronis Backup, Norton or alike?)
    Also I was told some Anti virus software caused the problems you describe. If so try disabling or uninstalling.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:42 PM
  • The only software I have installed is from Microsoft (Office, Visual Studio, Windows Live Essentials, Microsoft Security Essentials), plus Firefox 6 and Chrome (but I installed the browsers *after* the problem).

I have tried de-installing and re-installing the client; I also tried removing the computer from the server first and then de/re-installing.

It certainly seems like there is an interaction between one of the other pieces of MS software, since nothing I have installed other than MS software should be touching/configuring the VSS service.

Could it be the SQL Server VSS Writer service?  I tried disabling it but that didn't seem to have any effect.  I'll try another WHS 2011 client de/re-install with it disabled to see if that makes any difference.

Again, any further ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-James

James K. Rivera
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 10:06 PM
  • Nope.  Logged into the remote administration dashboard, removed my computer, uninstalled the WHS 2011 connect client and rebooted.

Re-installed the WHS 2011 client from my server, logged into the dashboard; it said my computer was setup, so I triggered a manual backup.  Almost immediately, I saw the same error in the event log:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface.  hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
    . This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:
       Gathering Writer Data

Context:
       Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
       Writer Name: System Writer
       Writer Instance ID: {7781f7ff-bd3b-4d36-9f3c-42e14259ce70}

Any other ideas?  I'm getting more than a little frustrated with this.

-James

James K. Rivera
    Friday, August 26, 2011 5:17 AM
  • I too am experiencing these backup issues and errors on my Windows 7 x64 bit client after running the latest WHS 2011 updates on server and client.

Really really frustrating and I too would really appreciate any help.

Thanks

Mark

Saturday, August 27, 2011 8:27 PM
  • Any other ideas?  I'm getting more than a little frustrated with this.

James,

I would say it is most likely that there is some problem with VSS on this client PC. Is standard Win7 backup and/or previous versions functional?
    Actually I have no idea how to solve this. I can only offer you two (less helpfull) suggestions:

1. Run "checkdisk /f /r" on all volumes. Not sure if this helps but it is sure worth a try.
      (Could be a problem with the disk(s). Did you check the clients event list for errors?)
    2. Report the problem to Connect. Please make sure to add logfiles for the client and server to your report...
      Maybe they can help.
    3. Re-install Windows 7 on the client (last resort...)? 

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, August 28, 2011 8:16 PM
  • I don't know if this helps.  I ran chkdsk on all volumes on both WHS 2011 and Windows 7 64-bit client.  During the WHS 2011 3 months trial period, I did not encounter the error until after I re-installed WHS2011 on another machine and deleted Client Backups folder.  I re-installed WHS client on all computers and all three except one had a successful backup.  I ran system recovery on Windows 7 client to find my profile missing and reversed system recovery back to a previous state.  I comtemplated re-installing Windows 7 and realize I need to re-activiate software.  Trashed that thought.  So I ran chkdsk on both WHS 2011 and it said it could not dismount the drive and asked if I want it scheduled.  I replied yes and rebooted WHS2011 to run it overnight.  I did the same with Windows 7 to run chkdsk outside Windows.  Chkdsk corrected errors that had to do with free space allocation.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 12:46 AM
  • I forgot to mention that the backup is working.
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 12:48 AM
  • What happens if you try to back up the drives singly? I'm wondering if the problem might in fact be with the 3TB drive.
    qts
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:47 AM
  • ... Chkdsk corrected errors ...
    This may indicate an issue with one or more drives. Where were the errors, on the client?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 1:02 PM
  • Hi James,

several weeks ago i had the same strange problem like you. I also have a custom workstation similar to yours:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k
    RAM: 16gb (4096MBx4) of Kingston DDR3-1600 PC3-10700
    Main OS drive: stripeset of 2 128GB OCZ Vertex3 SSD
    Data drive: stripeset of 4 1TB WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0

I had the same Volume Shadow Copy Service error like you; when i started the backup it tried to make volume snapshots and after some short time the backup failed. When i had a closer look at the event logs, i found that the error started nearly 4 weeks after installing my new pc and eventually after installing several office updates. As i remember the backup worked after installation.

I tried nearly every hint i found in forums but nothing worked. At least i decided to do a do a complete reinstall of the workstation. After the system installation and installing the whs conector i verified that the backup worked -> no VSS errors. When i installed product after product i always did a manual client backup to see if the error went back. But the backup worked and works til now; what's a little bit confusing for me is the fact that after some time the error again was logged in the event log, but the backup worked! Til now the error is logged every night during the automatic backup of my workstation.

Regards, Walter

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 3:51 PM
  • I opened an elevated cmd prompt and ran chkdsk /F /R on both the C: drive (64gb SSD) and on the D: drive (3TB HD).  There were no errors reported on either drive.

When it finished I rebooted the machine and tried a manual backup; same as before, a nearly instantaneous Volume Shadow Copy Service error.

I'm about to call it quits on WHS 2011.  I'd have better luck doing manual backups.

-James

James K. Rivera
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 6:07 AM
  • I tried plain old Windows 7 backup.  I found this error in the event viewer, source "Windows Backup": 

"The backup was not successful. The error is: Volumes larger than 2088958 megabytes cannot be protected. (0x807800B4)."

The following questions arise:

1. Were partitions greater than 2TB ever tested with WHS 2011 or Windows 7 backup on x64?
    2. Are partitions greater than 2TB supported?

Emprical evidence suggests the answer to both questions is: No.

-James

James K. Rivera
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Plain old Windows 7 backup uses a differencing vhd file. A vhd file is limited to 2 TB total size, so it's not possible to back up more than 2 TB using Windows 7 backup. This is the same limitation, and the same reason, you see with Windows Home Server 2011's server backup tool.
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 6:40 PM
  • So...do you think it would work if I had the 3TB drive split into partitions smaller than 2TB? (e.g. 2 x 1.5TB partitions)

-James

James K. Rivera
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 7:31 PM
  • Windows 7 backup? In theory I think it would, but...

I also think a system backup is always done to a single .vhd file, in which case it wouldn't.

And unfortunately I don't have the data volume to test this for you...

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 7:51 PM
  • I'd like to jump in here. I've been monitoring this discussion hoping to see an answer. I have exactly the same error...but the system concerned has a 1TB disc, split into two partitions.

This is a brand new system. It has had nothing but Windows 7 x64 (+Updates), Office, Photoshop and a bunch of games from scratch. It hasn't yet been used, so hasn't had a chance to develop any of the gremlins. However, Home Server backup gives the same error as James received.

In short the 2TB limit is not the answer.

In this case, built in Windows backup will backup the system, implying that it is not a VHD or VSS issue, but is in fact a problem with Windows Home Server Backup 2011.

-Barry

Thursday, September 8, 2011 7:46 AM
  • Barry, have you submitted this as a bug on Connect? If not, Microsoft is not going to do anything about your issue; there's no way for them to collect the data they need if they're interested. And they may not even see your report here...
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:35 AM
  • I wonder, is your 1 TB drive an Advanced Format drive?
    qts
    Friday, September 9, 2011 8:30 PM
  • Hi All,

I had a similar issue when trying to backup my Windows 7 PC, it also has an SSD as the primary drive. In order to backup my data I selected the customize the backup and removed the System Reserved selection. I have not tried any system restores so I don't know how that would affect the system in the event of a major failure. Usually I would tend to reload my system and reload the programs and restore my data as needed.

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Saturday, September 10, 2011 8:22 AM
    Friday, September 9, 2011 9:56 PM
  • After installing Windows 7 Professional repeatedly on 3 different drives (64gb SSD, 3TB HD, and a new 2TB HD I bought to help solve this problem), I have *finally* got it working on my new 2TB drive.  Near as I can figure, the problem is with using GUID Partition Table (GPT) instead of Master Boot Record (MBR) on the drive.  I (finally) found some errors in the C:\Windows\Panther directory that seemed to be related to CreatePartition failing.  I'm not sure why/what this was about, but that's when I decided to throw in the towel and try the 2TB drive.

Unfortunately, if I want to access the full storage capacity of the 3TB drive, I *must* use GPT, because MBR is limited to 2TB.  No matter what I did with the SSD I could not get it to back up (and I did try customize and only selected 1 folder with just a few pictures in it--still failed).  In hindsight, I think it may have been always using GPT on the SSD by default, and I did not try to force it otherwise.

However, at this point I don't care; I spent more than 2 full days trying to get this darn thing to work, and now that I have it working on the 2TB HD I'm tired of messing with it. It works and that's good enough...for now.

I will almost definitely be looking into non-Microsoft software for any future backup solutions.

-James

James K. Rivera
    Friday, September 9, 2011 10:58 PM
  • James, does the machine you're having the issues with support UEFI boot? If so, and you're installing Windows 7 x64, or Windows Vista x64, installing on an unpartitioned drive will probably configure your system for UEFI boot, and backup/restore of UEFI is not supported in any version of Windows Home Server.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 2:32 AM
  • Windows Home Server will not backup a client that boots with UEFI/GPT? I'd missed that limitation, but it does explain my problem. A more meaningful error message wouldn't have gone amiss!

Having searched, I see it's mentioned in the WHS realease notes. Now who goes back to read the release notes of their server software when they install a new client?

-Barry

Saturday, September 10, 2011 8:56 AM
  • ... Having searched, I see it's mentioned in the WHS realease notes. Now who goes back to read the release notes of their server software when they install a new client?

Microsoft would probably say that it's the user's responsibility to read and understand all available documentation. While I generally agree (and have been known to push back on people who ask lots of questions that they could answer for themselves if they just Read The Fine Manual) this is a fairly obscure bit of information. :)
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 1:01 PM
  • The only problem I've been having with the UEFI is that WHS 2011 is choking on it.  As for it not being supported, just putting this in the release notes is just plain lazy.

It would probably have been more work to make this a setup error, but not supporting GPT partitions is pretty serious.  After all, the main purpose is to back up data, and that main purpose fails with GPT.

Sure, you could argue such a thing could be added after setup and thus could not be detected during setup, but if the boot partition is GPT that excuse goes out the window.

-James

James K. Rivera
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 5:48 PM
  • I would agree this is a major shortfalling, and short-sightedness, of Microsoft!  This is an issue and MUST be addressed with an update to WHS2011.  Where is SP1?

UEFI is replacing the venerable BIOS, and having just purchased an Asus P8P67 which POSTS into EFI directly I can say it's a definite upgrade.  Having said that, I almost-unwittingly built a GPT boot drive as part of my recent Win7 64-bit clean-install.  I understand GPT has improved HDD reliability over MBR, plus allow astronomical drive sizes (9.44 ZB - zettabytes. 1 ZB is 1 billion terabytes- http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/233291-32-what-difference )

I am running Win7-64 on a 64GB SSD so size is not an issue here (sic).  But reliability is obviously key to a successful system drive (winner: GPT), the performance comes from SSD, and until I hit this WHS2011 backup issue, I have had absolutely no issues.

So bottom line:  I don't want to sacrifice the physical benefits of modern technology for the lazy comforts of simplicity - namely, an easy-to-use backup utility.  The future wins out here, and Microsoft MUST come to the plate and address this significant, not-future-proof flaw in its new "home server" -  the name itself implying this is a product that can be used by the just-above-average weekend-warrior technojunkie.  Like me.

Yes, I will be submitting a patch request to Connect.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 1:28 AM
  • I would agree this is a major shortfalling, and short-sightedness, of Microsoft!  This is an issue and MUST be addressed with an update to WHS2011.  Where is SP1?

If you don't have SP1, I suggest you install it.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 1:32 AM
  • Quick response, Phil!  If ultimately unhelpful.  Sorry, I meant SP2 - the (hopeful) update with compatibility for GPT drives.
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 1:36 AM
  • I should also mention that I have tested this, extensively and exhaustively.  I booted into a MBR-formatted drive (on the same computer with the EFI "BIOS") with Win7-64 and was able to complete a successful backup.  Plus backups were successful with WinXP SP3 and a Win7-32 computers on my home network.  A lot of people are thinking it's the 64-bit Windows 7 install that's the issue, but no - it appears (from my testing) to be GPT-partitioned drives.

Even WHSv1 wasn't THIS much work!

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 1:40 AM
  • I have the same motherboard SSD and CPU as the OP and i have the exact same issue, my drives are set up a bit differenetly. i have relentlessly trying to solve this issue until I read this post. Is it confirmed that WHS 2011 will not back up with UEFI BOIS? if so, i hope this issue gets addressed.
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 12:06 AM
  • @#$%)*&)&@^@!#)(*$&!!!!!!!!!!!

After buying Windows Home Server 2011 specifically for Client Backups, spending ALL weekend moving my Data over from Amahi, I've spent the last two nights trying to figure this ridiculous VSS Access Denied error I keep having.

I have tried countless suggestions and followed all sorts of guides only to finally stumble on this thread to see  that my system is INCOMPATIBLE.

Brand new build:

Windows 7 Enterprise

ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3

Intel 2500K w/ Corsair H80 Cooler

120GB Agility 3 SSD

Yes my Motherboard has UEFI BIOS as do pretty much ALL new motherboards.

Yes my SSD is using GPT since that's what Microsoft does by DEFAULT when I installed Windows.

How this is unsupported is beyond me. 

What a crap solution this has turned out to be.... and a waste of my time.

If I could figure out how to get my money back I would. Unbelievable.

• Edited by hatari5200 Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:06 AM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:05 AM
  • Ok now that I've simmered down and come to grips with the fact that this is Microsoft I'm dealing with, where can I go to actually submit/report this as a bug - considering I paid money for WHS 2011 and its not working for me. I assume I'm entitled to some sort of support beyond being able to rant on these forums.

Thanks.

• Edited by hatari5200 Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:47 PM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:46 PM
  • Hey if anybody out there feels like it then can go to this link and see how Microsoft has known about this issue since February of last year and done nothing about it:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/646106/client-gpt-system-backup-in-whs-2011-fails-at-1#tabs

A least you could click the UP arrow to try and move this issue into the spotlight.....  

Also I found this nice place where Microsoft offers support incidents for $79 each:

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&sd=gn&c1=508&gprid=12624&&st=1&wfxredirect=1

I wonder what would happen  if I actually opened one for this issue? A black hole would probably open up and swallow the earth.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:03 AM
  • I don't know if this will help you guys but I had the same problems with WHS backing up my new computer. I tried everything for a couple days and it turns out the fix was to disable/uninstall my motherboards software for fast usb. I have ASRock and they call it their XFast USB utility. I stumbled upon this because my regular windows backup wouldn't work either (not System Restore but Windows Backup > Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore). After doing some digging around, other people with similar hanging issues on Windows Backup had discovered it was XFast USB utility causing issues with VSS. As soon as I uninstalled this, no more problems with VSS. Also I might note that my primary drive being backed up is in fact GPT, not MBR. Good luck yall.
    Saturday, June 9, 2012 10:39 PM
  • Also I did the following to correct permission issues: 

VSS Errors Occur on Windows Server 2008 Systems
    Valid on Windows Server 2008 platforms.

Symptom:

Database level backup jobs complete successfully and Windows Event ID 8194 appears in Windows Event Viewer.

Environment:

Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 is installed on a Windows Server 2008 x64 system.

Solution:

Event ID 8194 relates to Volume Shadow Copy Service errors.

For more information, see the Microsoft support website. You can eliminate the error condition by adding the access permissions for the Network Service

account to the COM Security of the affected server. To add the access permissions for the Network Service account, do the following:

From the Start Menu, select Run 
    The Run dialog opens.

In the Open field, input dcomcnfg and click OK. 
    The Component Services dialog opens.

Expand Component Services, Computers, and My Computer. 
    Right-click My Computer and click Properties on the pop-up menu.

The My Computer Properties dialog opens.

Click the COM Security tab. 
    Under Access Permission click Edit Default.

The Access Permissions dialog opens.

From the Access Permissions dialog, add the Network Service account with Local Access allowed.
    Close all open dialogs. 
    Restart the computer.

Saturday, June 9, 2012 10:47 PM