Server is Missing ... RRS feed

• Question

• Installed WHS 2011 a few days ago, clean install but previous WHS user.  All seemed to go fine, no problem installing or connecting the workstations.  Every day however I've been getting an error saying that the scheduled backup did not finish successfully with an error code of "0".  However when I try to follow the instructions to see what's going on, when I go to the dashboard, under "Computers and Backup" my server is not listed - just the workstations. Tried running the dashboard on the server itself and same result.

I can get into the server backup configuration wizard by going to Home and then using the shortcut to Getting Started tasks, but shouldn't the server itself be listed on the Computers and Backup tab? 

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 1:41 PM

Answers

• If you do have to reinstall the OS, then there's an easy workaround that you can apply at installation time that will change the Workgroup name. It worked for me. See:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/whsvailbeta/thread/9562b42c-a252-4c96-8e3d-c2ebbef35275

• Marked as answer by Derek Lloyd Friday, August 19, 2011 5:12 PM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:10 AM
  • Derek, "on the wiki" ≠ "supported" in any way. The CA service takes very poorly to having the machine name change, or to having the workgroup or domain change, because that information is "baked in" to any certificates issued. So it's entirely possible that running those commands breaks other pieces of Windows Home Server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:35 AM

All replies

• Check each of your client computers in the dashboard to make sure it's not one of them that's failing.

As for your server, do you have a disk connected and configured for server backup?

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 1:49 PM
  • Check each of your client computers in the dashboard to make sure it's not one of them that's failing.

As for your server, do you have a disk connected and configured for server backup?

Thanks for the reply.  Only two client computers connected right now, both are showing on the Computers and Backup tab and neither indicate a problem.  Yes I was able to setup a 1TB drive that's connected and is configured for server backup.  If I go to the Hard Drives tab it is showing up under "Server Backup".   It is showing space being used so I assume the backup is actually running as scheduled.  I did a quick "Check and Repair" on the drive an got no errors.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:05 PM
  • When logging into the Dashboard select the option to disable any add-ins. Disable them all (if any) and see if that changes anything.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:20 PM
  • When logging into the Dashboard select the option to disable any add-ins. Disable them all (if any) and see if that changes anything.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thanks for the suggestion, but no luck.  Removed all add-ins, rebooted and still the server doesn't appear on the list.  Also checked via remote web access and it's not showing there either - although I'm not entirely sure whether it's supposed to in WHS 2011 (I know it did in the previous version).

There's got to be a toggle somewhere I'm missing ...

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:00 PM
  • I don't believe it's something you have missed - I have always had it show up on a number of installations automatically. Have you done any server configuration outside the Dashboard?
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:04 PM
  • I don't believe it's something you have missed - I have always had it show up on a number of installations automatically. Have you done any server configuration outside the Dashboard?

The only thing I did on the server was that I had to change the workgroup after the install.  Used "sysinfo.JoinDomainOrWorkgroup("workgroupname")" and it completed fine.  No errors in the logs that would appear to be related?
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:46 PM
  • That could well be the problem. There is no supported way of changing the Workgroup name nor is there any need to do so.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:53 PM
  • That could well be the problem. There is no supported way of changing the Workgroup name nor is there any need to do so.

Got the instructions from Microsoft Technet (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/how-to-change-workgroup-name-on-windows-home-server-2011-and-windows-storage-server-2011-r2-essentials.aspx) so it's at least somewhat supported ... 

If I assume this is the problem, any suggestion on how to remedy?   I suppose I could change it back to "Workgroup" to see if the server appears, but then I suspect it'll mess up the client connections - which I could deal with.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:05 PM
  • >The only thing I did on the server was that I had to change the workgroup after the install.  Used "sysinfo.JoinDomainOrWorkgroup("workgroupname")" and it completed fine.  No errors in the logs that would appear to be related?

That's most likely your problem, WHS doesn't like you changing things
    like that after the install.  It's obviously running or you wouldn't
    get anything at all for the clients, but now it can't find itself
    because of the full name change.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:08 PM
  • Hmm - that's new as it was published on 8th August, so I had not seen it before! Might be worth a try putting it back to "Workgroup" and seeing what happens - you can always change it back if it does not fix the problem. All the previous wisdom on this board suggested it was not possible to easily change the workgroup name as it screws up the Certificate services!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:10 PM
  • Derek, "on the wiki" ≠ "supported" in any way. The CA service takes very poorly to having the machine name change, or to having the workgroup or domain change, because that information is "baked in" to any certificates issued. So it's entirely possible that running those commands breaks other pieces of Windows Home Server.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:35 AM
  • Understand that changing the workgroup after install was probably not ideal ... but the OCD side of me couldn't allow for a computer on my network to not be consistant!  Assuming this is the source of the problem, I may try to recreate the certificate authority while under the new workgroup name to see if that solves.  Worst case I guess I'll have to reinstall the OS ...
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:29 AM
  • If you do have to reinstall the OS, then there's an easy workaround that you can apply at installation time that will change the Workgroup name. It worked for me. See:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/whsvailbeta/thread/9562b42c-a252-4c96-8e3d-c2ebbef35275

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:10 AM

I did end up having to reinstall and followed these steps - worked great. Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Friday, August 19, 2011 5:11 PM