System Size Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I turned off duplication on 990 gig worth of files in a folder and now my console is showing that my system space is being used by the 990 gig, not duplication.  Will this fix itself or is there something wrong?

My system drive is not even that large..

athlon 1100, 640 meg ram, 1x250, 1x200, 2x320 PATA drives.
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 2:47 AM

Answers

• I can think of a couple of reasons for system usage to show that much space used. Just after you turn off duplication, the duplicates may still be on the drives in your server, but no longer part of duplication. So they could still be available until the next duplication pass. An alternative might be that shadow copies were taken, and still exist, for those duplicates. Those could hang around a while, but will eventually be deleted automatically.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 3:36 AM

All replies

• I can think of a couple of reasons for system usage to show that much space used. Just after you turn off duplication, the duplicates may still be on the drives in your server, but no longer part of duplication. So they could still be available until the next duplication pass. An alternative might be that shadow copies were taken, and still exist, for those duplicates. Those could hang around a while, but will eventually be deleted automatically.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 3:36 AM
  • aight, I'll keep an eye on it.  I have shadow copies turned off I believe.  Had nothing but trouble with em.

Update: everything is back to normal.  Must just be a regular thing that happens when you disable duplication.

athlon 1100, 640 meg ram, 1x250, 1x200, 2x320 PATA drives.
    • Edited by Enchanter Sunday, September 7, 2008 4:14 AM updating
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 4:13 AM