Headless Servers vs. System Builder License RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way for a System Builder to legally produce a headless server? I was looking at the OPK Documentation and found that manufacturers of headless systems are required to deliver customized restoration media, however System Builders are not allowed to deliver customized media.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 1:07 AM

All replies

• I think a system builder will be unable to deliver a "headless" server a la the HP MediaSmart Server, with no keyboard, video, or mouse ports. Unless they start with something like the Norco DS-520. And even then, as you note, they can't deliver customized recovery media.

How much higher does Microsoft set the bar to be an OEM, vs. a system builder, though?
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 3:55 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    I think a system builder will be unable to deliver a "headless" server a la the HP MediaSmart Server, with no keyboard, video, or mouse ports. Unless they start with something like the Norco DS-520. And even then, as you note, they can't deliver customized recovery media.

The licensing restrictions won't allow them to start with the Norco or Intel units. And I think Intel intends to market to the system builder channel.

Ken Warren wrote:
    How much higher does Microsoft set the bar to be an OEM, vs. a system builder, though?

The last time I looked the requirement was 1000 units yearly for Desktop SKUs and 100 units yearly for Server SKUs.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 2:28 PM