File Size on GIF's RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys, good work on this program by the way! Much QUICKER than using Photoshop!

The problem that I've been coming up against is that the outputted file size is just too big. Sometimes it's close to 3MB. I don't even think Tumblr will accept over 1MB files. Can you give me some ideas/tips on how to reduce it. I've tried numerous programs, but they all either compromise the image quality or stop the animation altogether.

Just so you also have it, my website is www.BlogYourWine.com and I've started incorporating some cinemagraphs into my wine reviews/food pairings. There's an example in this review: http://www.blogyourwine.com/2012/07/12/barnard-griffin-syrah-port-columbia-valley-washington-state/
    Friday, July 13, 2012 3:17 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the feedback!

We're aware that our GIF export feature often produces very large files, and it's something we're hoping to improve in the future.

For now, there are a couple of things you can try to reduce the size of GIF files produced by the Cliplets app.  First, the file size depends on the amount of motion in the cliplet; less motion means fewer pixels are changing, which means the GIF file will be smaller.  So keeping the size of the moving areas small should help.

Second, the resolution (width and height) of the input has a big impact on the size of the GIF file.  We do limit the output size to a maximum of 640 pixels wide when exporting to a GIF file, but even that may produce large files.  You might try loading the original video in a video editing tool (Expression Encoder comes to mind, but there are many) and saving the video at a lower resolution.  Loading a smaller video into the Cliplets application will produce a smaller GIF file as output (though it will require creating the cliplet again from scratch).

Eric Stollnitz, Interactive Visual Media Group, Microsoft Research

Friday, July 20, 2012 1:59 AM
  • I would actually hope that we might have been able to adjust the output size ourselves one day... mine are to small.. the pixsels are very clear to see ... and I even use HD files to work with.

If we could have had a tool for size in the output ... small, medium, large and X-large and maybe even XX-Large ... and choose ourselves what the output would be ... ???

I'm no tech..but if we use time to work on the gifs, then I would like to see it on a full screen too ... without all the pixels... just to see the result better and also use as backgrounds...

• Edited by Sharazan Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:14 AM spelling wrong
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:50 AM
  • How do you get that big a file ?... mine are seldom over 1 mb.. ?? even with HD files... ??...
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:15 AM