TrojanDropper:Win32/Cavitate.A RRS feed

• Question

•  

I got this and in the log it shows up 40 times at the exact same time . What does this mean??

5/24/2008 7:18 PM
    Windows Live OneCare found potentially harmful or unwanted software on your computer
    Threat Name: TrojanDropper:Win32/Cavitate.A
    Detection Date and Time: 5/24/2008 7:18 PM
    File Name: C:\Users\Rpbert\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\OBLDITND\za_080414_update_05[1].gif->(UPX)
    Threat Severity: Severe
    Threat Category: Trojan Dropper
    Contained Object: (UPX)
    Virus and spyware monitoring found potentially unwanted software: (ANTIVIRUS_ONACCESS_INFECTED)

Threat Status:

Detected

Sunday, May 25, 2008 7:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• Navigate to C:\Users\Rpbert\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files, open the folder and delete all files. If some files fail to delete boot into Safe Mode to delete them. After deleting the temp. internet files, rescan with One Care in Safe Mode. How to use the One care scanner in Safe Mode - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1215336&SiteID=2

If One Care still detects the trojan and cannot remove it please contact support. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Sunday, May 25, 2008 7:48 PM
  • can you tell what this is and how i can get it. Also is this a true severe threat?

Sunday, May 25, 2008 7:56 PM
  • This is the description found at the Microsoft Malware Protection Center:

TrojanDropper:Win32/Cavitate.A

Description: TrojanDropper:Win32/Cavitate.A is a trojan that downloads and executes arbitrary files.
    Published Date: 02/18/2008
    Severity Rating: Low

This could be a severe threat, a moderate threat or a false positive. Since One care detected the trojan in your temporary internet files I suspect the trojan was detected at a website you visited.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 8:53 PM