Cannot activate remote access RRS feed

• Question

• All my attempts to activate remote access and the web site have failed. It says that there is something preventing it from working, that there may be multiple routers in the way, and that port forwarding isn't set up right. It's done this in two locations so far.

I know how to set up port forwarding and did so but it still returns that error. The other two seem to be out of my hands altogether.

I'm actually not really expecting a solution, I just want to know what you can offer. Any ideas or input.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 10:40 PM

All replies

• When going through the remote access wizard try ticking the option to setup the router manually. I cannot remember the exact prompts but just avoid using upnp.

My Linksys router does not handle upnp very well. Turning off upnp and manually forwarding the ports worked fine once I had told the Vail wizard that I would configure the ports required.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 11:47 PM
  • Did you set up port forwarding for both 80 and 443?

Friday, June 11, 2010 9:13 AM
  • Also : does the WHS have a static IP-address (if not, and the IP address changes, you need to change the address for the forward too every time)

Did you set up port forwarding for both 80 and 443?

Have a nice day!
    Friday, June 11, 2010 12:15 PM
  • To Yingyu Ma: Yes. I did the forwarding for both. However, I do think I'm behind another router in this apartment complex. I can't control that one.

To Leen: Yes. I reserved a DHCP IP address for the server.

Friday, June 11, 2010 12:34 PM
  • To Yingyu Ma: Yes. I did the forwarding for both. However, I do think I'm behind another router in this apartment complex. I can't control that one.

To Leen: Yes. I reserved a DHCP IP address for the server.

What is your router's WAN IPv4 address? If it's in one of these address ranges, you're right about the second router, and you will probably not be able to get Remote Access to work (since the owner/manager of your building is unlikely to be willing to forward the required ports to your router). About the only thing you could do in that case (and please note that I do not recommend you use this configuration for anything other than a brief test) is to set your router to transparent bridge mode, which will allow all of your LAN hardware to obtain IP addresses directly from your building's router, and will expose your entire network to the rest of the building. You will probably still have problems with port forwarding, however; I doubt that you will be able to log in to the building's router to configure it for your own use.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 11, 2010 12:48 PM