CRM 2011 - Views RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have customized the case entity to case files in my solution. Now by default when you land on that link it displays the existing files with various columns for e.g. the file number, location of the file, created on, and some other stuff.

Now there's a search functionality for the user that I am trying to implement where the user would land on the same page and just want to filter those files for a specific date, without going to the advance find. Just like have a text box to search, enter the date and the view gets filtered...for that date.

How can I achieve this, please and thanks.

SA

Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:02 PM

Answers

• I would try to educate the user on what are the features and limitations of the product, using Advanced Find is not the end of the world and it is quite simple actually. Additionally, you could log a suggestion at Microsoft Connect for CRM.

Gonzalo | gonzaloruizcrm.blogspot.com

Monday, August 22, 2011 12:29 PM
  • Sorry, you would have to use advanced find if you want to search on related entities.

Friday, August 19, 2011 8:20 PM

All replies

• There is the Quick Find View which defines which of the fields are searched when the user makes use of the search box that is included in the view. When you edit the Quick Find view you can select the "Find Columns" and any column that you add there will be searched.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:58 PM
  • Hi,

You can customize Quick Find view and add required column (Only those fields will be allowed which has Field Searchable Property = True) as Gonzalo mentioned, instead of going into the Advance Find they can also use the CRM Grid filter functionlity to search column values by different filter conditions

Jehanzeb Javeed

http://worldofdynamics.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile |CodePlex Profile

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".

• Proposed as answer by Jehanzeb.Javeed Friday, August 19, 2011 11:50 AM
    • Edited by Jehanzeb.Javeed Friday, August 19, 2011 1:08 PM Type error corrected
    Friday, August 19, 2011 11:50 AM
  • BTW, to access the Quick Find view just navigate to Settings --> Customizations --> Customize the System --> Entities --> your entity --> Views . And open the Quick Find View.

Friday, August 19, 2011 1:06 PM
  • Thanks for the reply...but the problem here is that its just not one search that I want to accomplish on this same screen...Critera could change depending upon the user and they might want to search with some other column not displayed on the grid. We cant everythime change the QUCK FIND VIEW...

Thats the problem...unless I think we use some custom code..Am I correct ?

S

Friday, August 19, 2011 7:40 PM
  • Hi,

This is not possible with the CRM standard out of the box functionality, Quick Find View search criteria and grid result columns will be similar for all, you have to add fix number of columns in Quick Find View and can include all search columns of the entity.

Jehanzeb Javeed

http://worldofdynamics.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile |CodePlex Profile

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    Friday, August 19, 2011 7:44 PM
  • The quick find view has the capability to define multiple search columns. So you just need to add all the columns you think people will search on. When they perform a search, CRM will return any result that matches the query in ANY of the columns you have defined as search columns in the QuickFind view.

Friday, August 19, 2011 7:45 PM
  • I see that you can have multiple columns, but I have columns from other entities as well...which I can't really select in the Quick find View customization since it shows columns from only the related entity.

So if I have multiple columns from different entities is there a way around....here

S

Friday, August 19, 2011 8:05 PM
  • Sorry, you would have to use advanced find if you want to search on related entities.

Friday, August 19, 2011 8:20 PM
  • And this is where we r stuck...the user doesnt want to do that...go in the advance find and select columns or do anything over in an another screen...they are determined to do everything from the same screen which is very unlikely to do in CRM....):

Anyways thanks for confirming my doubts, both..

S

Friday, August 19, 2011 8:24 PM
  • I would try to educate the user on what are the features and limitations of the product, using Advanced Find is not the end of the world and it is quite simple actually. Additionally, you could log a suggestion at Microsoft Connect for CRM.

Monday, August 22, 2011 12:29 PM
  • How do you access Quick Find in CRM 2011??
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 9:21 PM