64 Bit Hardware Support RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a less than a year old AMD 64 Bit PC that I was using for SharePoint Development work at home. I recently got a high powered VAIO and am doing SharePoint work on it instead. Question is the machine is simply collecting dust and after reading the post below it seems the WHS will install on the hardware. Its a 64 bit processor and motherboard and is running 4GB of memory and about 1.75TB of hard drive. Understanding it won't use all 4GB any issues I should be aware of?

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:29 PM

All replies

• That machine will definitely run WHS - in fact, WHS should fly on it. Unfortunately the current version of WHS is only available in 32-bit form, however, that won't prevent you from installing it on a 64-bit capable machine. I currently have WHS installed on a machine with a dual-core Celeron processor (also 64-bit capable) and it does quite well.

As a side note - depending on how you have your disks configured in your BIOS (i.e. if you have RAID or AHCI enabled) - i'd be prepared with a standalone disc that has the RAID and AHCI drivers on it. You'll want to load them as early as possible in the WHS installation process. I ran into an issue with that when I first installed WHS.

Marshall Kurtz WHS/Win7/Networking Enthusiast
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:42 PM
  • It's a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+. I am not using RAID, is this a requirement for WHS? I don't think so considering a boxed WHS server has one hard drive by default correct? It's all SATA as I just built the machine about 4 months ago. If I need them, how do I get the AHCI drivers though?
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:51 PM
  • It's a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+. I am not using RAID, is this a requirement for WHS?

No.  In fact, RAID is not supported at all.

I don't think so considering a boxed WHS server has one hard drive by default correct? It's all SATA as I just built the machine about 4 months ago. If I need them, how do I get the AHCI drivers though?
    Either a USB flash drive or (more likely) a floppy drive.  My suggestion would be to set your mobo's SATA ports to IDE/Legacy mode so you don't have to worry about the drivers.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:29 AM
  • Agreed with the above. SATA ports are usually configurable in the BIOS to run in Native IDE, RAID or AHCI modes. For WHS, I actually have my drives running in AHCI mode, but I can't think of any striking benefits that would sway you away from switching them into IDE mode - it would definitely make the install process easier. If you do want to go the AHCI route anyway, you should be able to get bare-bones "boot" drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's website. I know that Gigabyte and Intel, as examples, have these. Regardless, some people have expressed difficulties getting these drivers loaded at the right time mid-installation, so beware of that as well (they have to be loaded as early as possible - you should see a line of text at the bottom of the screen that says something like "press F6 to load drivers").

One important thing to note - with any operating system installation - once you've chosen AHCI, RAID or Native IDE - you won't be able to boot normally if you attempt to switch the mode after install. (i.e. if you go with IDE now, you'd have to reinstall if you wanted to switch to an AHCI configuration down the road).

Friday, July 31, 2009 12:11 AM
  • Agreed with the above. SATA ports are usually configurable in the BIOS to run in Native IDE, RAID or AHCI modes. For WHS, I actually have my drives running in AHCI mode, but I can't think of any striking benefits that would sway you away from switching them into IDE mode - it would definitely make the install process easier. If you do want to go the AHCI route anyway, you should be able to get bare-bones "boot" drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's website. I know that Gigabyte and Intel, as examples, have these. Regardless, some people have expressed difficulties getting these drivers loaded at the right time mid-installation, so beware of that as well (they have to be loaded as early as possible - you should see a line of text at the bottom of the screen that says something like "press F6 to load drivers").

Actually they have to be loaded twice on WHS (once during the initial GUI portion, and again after the first reboot, during the text portion).  That's precisely why I suggested to not hassle with it. :)

One important thing to note - with any operating system installation - once you've chosen AHCI, RAID or Native IDE - you won't be able to boot normally if you attempt to switch the mode after install. (i.e. if you go with IDE now, you'd have to reinstall if you wanted to switch to an AHCI configuration down the road).

Friday, July 31, 2009 4:19 AM