Using POP 3 insted of Exchange Server for sending mails from CRM 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Friends,
                      I'm a complete novice to MS CRM. During its installation I came across a small hurdle. My organization dos'nt have Exchange Server, so my question is,
    Can I use a POP 3(or anything else) for sending & receiving mails instead of Exchange Server from MS CRM 3.0.
    I read somewhere that it is possible but i don't know the steps of implementing the same.
    Can u guys provide me with some links or solution for implementing the same ?

Thanks in advance...
    Regards,
               Rohan
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 3:06 PM

Answers

•  

The CRM 3 implementation guide should contain the information you need:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1ff067f8-4f77-40f0-ae9c-68ada7d4f16a&DisplayLang=en

If you don't use Exchange then you won't be able to receive e-mails into the CRM 3.0 system at all. You will be able to send them via your SMTP server.

I suggest you consider upgrading to CRM 4.0 which has support for using POP3 accounts to receive e-mails. Search the Microsoft download site for "CRM 4 email" for relevant documentation.

www.microsoft.com/downloads

Monday, April 28, 2008 6:58 AM
  •  

1. Check the event log on the CRM server for any error messages.  Are you getting any errors anywhere else that may help indicate what the problem is?

2. Is your SMTP server configured to allow your CRM server to relay through it. You might need to add the IP address of your CRM server as an allowed server to the configuration of your SMTP server.

3. Does your SMTP require authentication? If so, then it looks like your SMTPAuthenticate registry should be set to another value. If not, then I don't see that SMTPSendUserName and SMTPSendPassword are required.

4. Are e-mails showing in the history of CRM records?

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 10:55 PM
  • Hye Friend,
                    Took ur advice and re-checked all my settings & logs .. as it turns out my "SMTPAuthenticate" value was wrong.. I reset it to "1" & now itz working GREAT !!!

Thanks for all the advice & help ..... Reall- really apppriciate it....

Regards,
    Rohan W.
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 5:13 AM

All replies

•  

In CRM 3.0 you do not need Exchange to send e-mails from CRM 3 in the web client.

During installation of CRM 3.0 you would have been asked to specify the address of an outgoing SMTP server. The SMTP server does not have to be Exchange. You might have an internal SMTP server or you could use the SMTP server of your ISP. It depends on the configuration of your network and Internet connection.

If you didn't specify this during installation you can update the appropriate registry settings. This article should assist: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906471/

POP3 is a protocol for receiving mails. It has nothing to do with sending e-mails.

CRM 3.0 cannot use POP3 for receiving e-mails. The only way for e-mails to arrive into CRM 3.0 is via the E-mail router (which requires Exchange) or via the CRM Outlook add-in.

CRM 4.0 can manage e-mails in and out without Exchange.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 9:25 AM
  •  

Hye  Feridun,

Thanks for the reply. Actually heres the setup of my Infra.

I have a dedicated CRM 3 Server.

I have another server which has AD installed & properly configured with domain.

I dont have a Exchange Server, but I do have a Mail Server(some software called iQuinox) which uses a external mailing server to send and receive mails.

depending on the above set up can you please provide me some links or explain me the steps in brief as to hwo can i configure my CRM server to sedn and receive mails

ps... all the users who are going to use CRM have individual e-mail accounts on the external server.

Thanks once again for the reply,

Regards,

Rohan Wadiwala.

Friday, April 25, 2008 7:45 AM
  •  

The CRM 3 implementation guide should contain the information you need:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1ff067f8-4f77-40f0-ae9c-68ada7d4f16a&DisplayLang=en

If you don't use Exchange then you won't be able to receive e-mails into the CRM 3.0 system at all. You will be able to send them via your SMTP server.

I suggest you consider upgrading to CRM 4.0 which has support for using POP3 accounts to receive e-mails. Search the Microsoft download site for "CRM 4 email" for relevant documentation.

www.microsoft.com/downloads

Monday, April 28, 2008 6:58 AM
  • Dear Friend,
                     Thanks for the reply. It would be OK for me even if I was able to send mails only & not receive them. I went through the implimentation manuals & some other blogs and added the foll. new entries to the  registry  :

Registry entry: SMTPServer.
    Type: String.
    Value : 192.168.0.126

Registry entry: SMTPServerPort.
    Type: DWORD.
    Value : 25.
    Registry entry: SMTPAuthenticate.
    Type: DWORD.
    Value : 0.
    Registry entry: SMTPSendUserName.
    Value: crmadmin.
    Registry entry: SMTPSendPassword.

Value =  <some very long string>

Registry entry: SMTPUseSSL.
    Type: DWORD with a decimal base.
    Value =0.

But still I'm not able to send any mails. I've also rechecked my SMTP Virtual Server & it seems to be working properly on port 25.

Any other suggestions tips you can suggest. ?????

regards,
    Rohan Wadiwala
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 9:27 AM
  •  

1. Check the event log on the CRM server for any error messages.  Are you getting any errors anywhere else that may help indicate what the problem is?

2. Is your SMTP server configured to allow your CRM server to relay through it. You might need to add the IP address of your CRM server as an allowed server to the configuration of your SMTP server.

3. Does your SMTP require authentication? If so, then it looks like your SMTPAuthenticate registry should be set to another value. If not, then I don't see that SMTPSendUserName and SMTPSendPassword are required.

4. Are e-mails showing in the history of CRM records?

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 10:55 PM
  • Hye Friend,
                    Took ur advice and re-checked all my settings & logs .. as it turns out my "SMTPAuthenticate" value was wrong.. I reset it to "1" & now itz working GREAT !!!

Thanks for all the advice & help ..... Reall- really apppriciate it....

Regards,
    Rohan W.
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 5:13 AM