Performance of UK 2005 (14.0.120.1105) under Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have the above version running under Windows 7 however, it is ever so slow. On occasion it just stops with the spinning wait timer then continues again.

It is not the CPU, and it does not appear to be thrashing the disk, does anyone have any experience or suggestions.

Thank you for your help

Thursday, November 4, 2010 10:28 PM

All replies

• Your file may have "slow file syndrome". If this is the case, the Money file would run slowly on a different computer also. This would usually be because of one or more problem bills. Sometimes removing bills one by one would help. Unfortunately the latest UK version was your version. Money 2007 introduced a File->Repair->RemoveAllBillsData feature, but that was for the US and probably Japan. If this is what your problem is, and removing bills one by one does not sufficiently help, the solution would be to export all of your accounts to loose QIF, and to import them back into a new file. At that point you could even switch to a different version of Money. That is not a trivial amount of effort, and there is information lost in the process. If you want to try that, let us know. There are some relevant tips.

If you did not use the bills feature significantly, my suspicion of you having "slow file syndrome" would probably be wrong. In that case, Quick, and regular level 1 and regular level 2 file repairs may help. In fact, I would try those anyway. However those were not effective against "slow file syndrome".

Friday, November 5, 2010 3:41 PM
  • Cal, Hi

Thank you for your help.

I copied my file and deleted all the bills, then repaired at both level 1 and level 2 and it still remains sluggish. To give you and idea I cannot simply scroll down an account register without it stopping every two or three rows forcing me to wait 10-15 seconds.

One interesting observation is that sometimes the Windows 7 wait timer spins as you would expect but on others it stutters bewteen 9 and 10 o'clock, it looks very strange I must say.

Could the problem simply be my 11 year 40Mb file that has dozens of accounts, many of them now unused, as a result of different stages of my life and 'money' experiments.  I do make extensive use of classifications to give me an extra dimension to reporting on my data.

Reluctantly, I'm wondering whether it is simply time to give up and move to something up to date and supported - I have had a good run with Money so it owes me nothing, though at th

is stage I wouldn't know what to move too as there doesn't seem to be a clear leader.

I'm going to try and delete all the accounts I'm no longer using to see it that would make a difference or even an archive might be an option.

Any further suggestions much appreciated.

Regards

Ian

Saturday, November 6, 2010 7:05 AM
  • Hi

I archived the file yesterday to the 01/01/2010 (it took over 3 hours), it is much better to use but still very sluggish.

Other than starting with a new product the best alternative seems to be to start a new file. I'm thinking of struggling through to the new year with the view of starting a brand new file from 01/01/2011, keeping my current file for reference.

Thank you for your help

Ian

Sunday, November 7, 2010 8:58 PM
  • Recognize that the archiving process did not achieve your objective. The archive is a copy of your file as it existed a the time of your archiving. I suggest opening that file and doing File->Export of each account as loose QIF file.

If you want to do the QIF export/import, I would follow the steps
    in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;178830
    except in the first step 4, I would suggest this: start the name of
    the QIF file for the investment accounts with an underscore (_),
    and start the name of QIF files for the cash accounts associated
    with the investments with a letter.  Thus you might have
    _BrownInvestment.qif and BrownInvestmentCash.qif.  This would cause
    the investment account to be processed prior to the associated cash
    account.  When the BrownInvestment got created, you would specify
    that you want to track the cash transactions.  Then specify that
    the cash transactions account for BrownInvestment was where the
    BrownInvestmentCash.qif transactions get sent.

Then File->Import ALL AT ONCE using Ctrl+<click> to select files.
    Specify "New or Recovered" account when asked.

Of course you will use a different filename for the new file, and
    you will have both versions to choose from when done.  I would also
    set up the backups to make sure they are using different names.

This resulting file should be much faster.

Sunday, November 7, 2010 10:36 PM