Home computer restore CD doesn't seem to recognise ethernet connection on 64 bit Vista machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have a brand new HP HDX-16  Vista 64 bit Notebook. No problems backing up to or accessing the server (Tranquil PC SQA-5H). I tried a dummy computer restore run. Did everything by the book including copying the drivers from the backup file on the server with a thumb drive. Absolutely no sign that the software recognises the Realtek NIC. All my other computers running 32 bit versions of  XP or Vista connect for restore as expected (although thankfully I haven't needed to restore one yet). I suspect that the resore CD is 32 bit Windows PE and the driver copied during back up  is 64 bit and therefore will not run.

How can I overcome this?? Nothing in the Manual or in Andrew Edney's "Windows HS Guide".

The Adapter is Realtek RTL8168C(p)/8111(P) Fami9ly PCI-E GBE NIC

David
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:35 PM

Answers

• Hi David,
    for the restore process you will need extracted 32 Bit Vista drivers for the network adapter (download them on the Realtek website, if available) and provide them on a USB stick, since ther Restore environment is based on a Vista PE 32 Bit CD.
    If this is not working, please check this FAQ.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:48 PM