Truly headless RRS feed

• Question

• I'm wondering what the limitations will be with WHS on a truly headless machine? The HP units (and such) dont even have the capability of attaching a monitor-keyboard-mouse. I'm thinking about upgrades, installs, configurations.....

I'm sure all of this cant be done through the console..

Rich

Friday, August 31, 2007 11:40 PM

Answers

•  

If needed you can remote desktop into WHS, and in WHS console in settings you can check and install MS updates there.
    Saturday, September 1, 2007 12:01 AM

All replies

•  

If needed you can remote desktop into WHS, and in WHS console in settings you can check and install MS updates there.
    Saturday, September 1, 2007 12:01 AM
  • Yes, I understand this. I was wondering about the times when something goes wrong (undocumented customer features Smile ) and the server hangs on reboot or stops to ask a question (waiting for responce) and you have no console yet to look at?

Thanks,

Rich

Saturday, September 1, 2007 9:17 PM
  • Rich, on the HP units, you would probably initiate recovery mode and do whatever that entails. Probably hook up an external DVD drive you can boot from, or do the actual recovery over your network, but anyway you'd boot into recovery mode. The lack of KVM ports on the unit means that you would have to be able to do anything required through remote desktop or over the network.
    Saturday, September 1, 2007 11:01 PM