none
How do I install Tversity on the WHS computer?

Question

• I have a D-Link DSM320 media extender with a few TB's of DVD's ripped to hard drives.  Most of which are attached to the WHS computer and shared in the Videos folder.  I can play them fine on my Vista desktop with Media Player or Cyberlink DVD but I want them to play on the TV via media extender.  TVersity is the best software for this purpose I could find.

1. Do I just remotely log on to the server and install it just like I would do it on Vista or XP?
    2. Will the default folder locations for the install be okay?
    3. I read somewhere here that installed services require some changes in the Admin Tools/Services so they always run on reboots.  Is the Services section similar to the same thing in Vista or XP?
    4. Any other problems I may experience?

The WHS computer, the extender, and a network storage device with 3 more drives are on a wired LAN and the other computers are wireless so putting TVersity on one of the other computers totally uses up the wireless bandwidth. I have WHS working pretty good with some minor problems and don't want to mess it up so any help would be appreciated. 

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 11:41 PM

Answers

•  JerryEl wrote:

>> It works great and I'm accessing all the music, photos, and video stored on my WHS server from the DSM-320. <<

I did do the Windows Media Connect thing but the DVD folders don't show up. Most likely because they contain VOB files. The few movies I converted to AVI files did show up and play fine but with much reduced quality expecially on a projector system.

How did you get yours to recognize the VOB files? I don't do music and photos, at least not enough that I want to look at them on TV or listen on the stereo.

My only interest is my extensive (and expensive) movie collection, about 2.5 TB's worth so far, ripped to hard drives. Eventually, I'll probably go with network drive servers (I have one DSM600) but when I started I didn't realize how many GB's it took as I kept adding movies. I just kept buying more hard drives when they were on sale and cheapo USB enclosures which haven't given me any trouble.

Did you try this:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1749182&SiteID=50

My best.
    Thursday, July 05, 2007 4:31 AM
  • How did you get yours to recognize the VOB files?  I don't do music and photos, at least not enough that I want to look at them on TV or listen on the stereo.

Actually I didn't. All my video files, including movies, were converted to DivX AVI files. In my viewing environment that is an acceptable trade-off between storage efficiency and video quality.

As you already know you need to convert those VOB files to a format which WHS will recognize and stream, while maintaining the best possible video quality. The link below is a place to start.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG

Thursday, July 05, 2007 2:10 PM

All replies

• If you don't want to mess up your WHS don't do any of the things you're suggesting. I have the D-Link DSM320, which is a fantastic piece of hardware BTW. All you have to do to access your videos is bring up the WHS console, open settings, select media sharing, and turn it on for the video folder!

WHS can already act as a media server since it supports Windows Media Connect (2.0?).

It works great and I'm accessing all the music, photos, and video stored on my WHS server from the DSM-320.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, July 05, 2007 2:16 AM
  • >>  It works great and I'm accessing all the music, photos, and video stored on my WHS server from the DSM-320. << 

I did do the Windows Media Connect thing but the DVD folders don't show up.  Most likely because they contain VOB files.  The few movies I converted to AVI files did show up and play fine but with much reduced quality expecially on a projector system. 

How did you get yours to recognize the VOB files?  I don't do music and photos, at least not enough that I want to look at them on TV or listen on the stereo. 

My only interest is my extensive (and expensive) movie collection, about 2.5 TB's worth so far, ripped to hard drives.   Eventually, I'll probably go with network drive servers (I have one DSM600) but when I started I didn't realize how many GB's it took as I kept adding movies.  I just kept buying more hard drives when they were on sale and cheapo USB enclosures which haven't given me any trouble.

Thursday, July 05, 2007 4:22 AM
  •  JerryEl wrote:

>> It works great and I'm accessing all the music, photos, and video stored on my WHS server from the DSM-320. <<

I did do the Windows Media Connect thing but the DVD folders don't show up. Most likely because they contain VOB files. The few movies I converted to AVI files did show up and play fine but with much reduced quality expecially on a projector system.

How did you get yours to recognize the VOB files? I don't do music and photos, at least not enough that I want to look at them on TV or listen on the stereo.

My only interest is my extensive (and expensive) movie collection, about 2.5 TB's worth so far, ripped to hard drives. Eventually, I'll probably go with network drive servers (I have one DSM600) but when I started I didn't realize how many GB's it took as I kept adding movies. I just kept buying more hard drives when they were on sale and cheapo USB enclosures which haven't given me any trouble.

Did you try this:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1749182&SiteID=50

My best.
    Thursday, July 05, 2007 4:31 AM
  • How did you get yours to recognize the VOB files?  I don't do music and photos, at least not enough that I want to look at them on TV or listen on the stereo.

Actually I didn't. All my video files, including movies, were converted to DivX AVI files. In my viewing environment that is an acceptable trade-off between storage efficiency and video quality.

As you already know you need to convert those VOB files to a format which WHS will recognize and stream, while maintaining the best possible video quality. The link below is a place to start.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG

Thursday, July 05, 2007 2:10 PM
  • I have tried various programs to change VOB's to someting else and all them are lacking.  Maybe that's the reason the studios use VOB's. Smile  I usually use CloneDVD Mobile  which converts to almost any type of format.  Aside from the quality issue you lose the menu/chapter features unless you rip a chapter at a time into separate files.  I can run TVersity on my desktop but that means it goes over the network from the server, to the desktop, then back to the media player.  Prior to installing WHS I used that computer just for storing and managing the VOB folders since it is the small form factor, lays flat type of IBM desktop and fits in with my the rest of my multi-media equipment.

I think I will try installing TVersity on the server and see what happens.  Better now than after I have 3 TB of files on it.

Thanks for the replies.

Thursday, July 05, 2007 11:37 PM
  • Just install WizD on WHS and have it start up automatically with WHS.  Works great, plays vob's, avi', usual assortment.  I am using WizD on WHS to stream to my Buffalo Linktheater in HD and it works great. Very low footprint so unlikely to mess with WHS.

Now, if only I could stream from WizD to my Xbox360.....sigh....

Tversity will consume 100% of your WHS cpu while it is real time transcoding if your media receiver (such as Xbox 360) needs to transcoding.

Good luck.

Rick

Friday, July 06, 2007 1:55 AM
  • Actually - and I can confirm this, you can install tVersity just fine in WHS and it won't break anything.

Login the server with remote desktop as usual, and run the tVersity installer; default install path, and it'll go through and probably freak at the end when starting the service. Don't sweat it though, that's fine. Once it's finished (even if it didn 't freak), to start, run, services.msc, find the tversity service and right click, properties. In the Log On tab, select "This Account" and enter Administrator, no password, and go okay. It'll say "Administrator has been granted logon as service right", or similiar.

Now, right click on the service and go start.

That's the hardest part. The service will now start.

You can log out of the Remote Desktop now, and open a webbrowser, point it to

http://server:41952

where server is the name or IP of your WHS box.

Now, you simply add directories to share, but format them as network share names on the WHS box.

//server/Videos

//server/Music

//server/Photos

etc. Now, tversity will run perfectly fine, and will be able to access all of your WHS content without interfering - plus, it's remotely administered, which is a bonus.

Oh, it'll also help to disable media sharing from within the WHS console or it might conflict.

Edit: Would also like to note that this will now allow you to stream ALL media formats to the X360 and PS3.

Monday, July 09, 2007 11:28 AM
  •  Anonymous~san wrote:

Actually - and I can confirm this, you can install tVersity just fine in WHS and it won't break anything.

Login the server with remote desktop as usual, and run the tVersity installer; default install path, and it'll go through and probably freak at the end when starting the service. Don't sweat it though, that's fine. Once it's finished (even if it didn 't freak), to start, run, services.msc, find the tversity service and right click, properties. In the Log On tab, select "This Account" and enter Administrator, no password, and go okay. It'll say "Administrator has been granted logon as service right", or similiar.

Now, right click on the service and go start.

That's the hardest part. The service will now start.

You can log out of the Remote Desktop now, and open a webbrowser, point it to

http://server:41952

where server is the name or IP of your WHS box.

Now, you simply add directories to share, but format them as network share names on the WHS box.

//server/Videos

//server/Music

//server/Photos

etc. Now, tversity will run perfectly fine, and will be able to access all of your WHS content without interfering - plus, it's remotely administered, which is a bonus.

Oh, it'll also help to disable media sharing from within the WHS console or it might conflict.

Edit: Would also like to note that this will now allow you to stream ALL media formats to the X360 and PS3.

Hey, thanks for this. I've gone down this path, and it almost nearly works!

1. Where you said "no password" (above), this didn't work for me. The service wouldn't start. If I wanted the service to start as "This Account" then I had to enter the Administrator password for my WHS.

2. You imply that you can add directories to share via http://server:41952. If that's possible via the web browser, then it was far from obvious to me. Instead I clicked on the TVersity shortcut on my WHS desktop - then it was obvious how to add directories to share.

BUT...

At some (early) stage during the installation of TVersity I got a warning telling me that I would have to adjust my firewall (or words to that effect) to allow the TVersity executable MediaServer.exe to act as a server on port 41952. I ignored that (for the time being), and 'successfuly' completed the installation of TVersity (inc. codec pack, selecting default options all the way).

So now I'm trying to find my homeserver (that's what I call mine) using my PS3 over wireless. Sure enough, it finds it as:

HOMESERVER : 1 : Windows Media Connect

(I was kind of expecting it to mention TVersity in the line above. Oh well...)

So I select the HOMESERVER, then Video, then All Video... and it comes back saying 'There are no titles'. But there definitely are 7 .avi files in \\Homeserver\Videos.

So I'm a bit stuck now! Perhaps it's a firewall thing? I've got a Netgear ADSL Modem Wireless Router DG834PN, and I *think* I've put the right rule in place, but not sure.

Help! Any suggestions anyone about how I diagnose what's not working here and how I might fix it?

(p.s. I tried the WMP11 suggestion for streaming to my PS3, but that didn't work for me. WMP11 refused to add any media to the library. It found 1000's of files, but then refused to actually add them. So I undid everything and tried TVersity.)

Sunday, May 18, 2008 2:28 PM
  • I concur with Anonymous~san, I installed Tversity 1.0.0.3 RC2 on my home built Windows Home Server (not the HP Media Smart Server) and it works perfectly.  I did have to RDC to the sever and setup my shares because I could not figure out how to configure it from the browser either. 

Note: if you are seeing you should be seeing something like Tversity on homeserver on your Xbox if you are seeing just HOMESERVER : 1 that most likely means that you are seeing the media that is being shared by the delivered funactionality of home sever and not by Tversity.  After restarting my Xbox the Tversity source came up just fine.  If after a restart you are still not seeing it in the Xbox try turning off the firewall temporally on the home sever while you troubleshoot. Good luck

http://flickr.com/photos/markanelson/2788117480/sizes/o/

Friday, August 22, 2008 9:47 PM
  • The PS3 will recognize the actual TVersity server and say so, so your PS3 is most likely seeing a Media Connect/Extender service on your WHS box.  You'll want to disable this either manually, or during installation of TVersity there is a checkbox option to tell it to disable the Visat/MediaCenter sharing service automatically. 

On a side note, if you are having trouble with the PS3 seeing your TVersity box try using the TVersity UI to stop and then start the service. (Don't use Restart, do each individually)  I've found that I can get my TVersity server to reappear on the PS3 when it has vanished using this technique.

YMMV (as I run TVersity->PS3 on Vista, not WHS)

Monday, December 01, 2008 5:21 PM
  • TVersity usually shuts down Windows Media Connect, as it uses the same port. It's during a part of the installation. I know this post is pretty old, but I have it on a Vista Media Center and it is working great. Bear in mind, you will have to turn off Windows Media Connect - get the latest release and the installation process will kill it for you.
    Tuesday, December 02, 2008 10:44 PM
  • I am watching VOBs right now from my WHS, streamed to my original XBOX loaded up with XBMC, so I don't think your problem is the WHS.
    Saturday, March 07, 2009 9:34 AM
  • The XBMC software does all of the work.  Unfortunately you cannot install XBMC on a X360 yet LOL.    When I use XBMC on a notebook I too can steam anything from the WHS.  But the Xbox360 can only use the standard files.  Not really a problem for me as I will be using a HTPC running XBMC.

The less you install on the WHS the happier it will be.
    Saturday, March 07, 2009 3:17 PM