Sharing from an External Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Iomega eGo drive attached to my router.  It shows up in Windows XP as the "Z" drive.   There are 3 separate folders shown.  If I right click on each of the folders and go to "Properties," no panes are shown for "sharing."  The only panes are "General" and "Customize." A "sharing" pane shows up, however, on each of the folders on my "C" and "D" drives.  How can I enable "sharing" panes on the folders shown in the external hard drive?  
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 2:04 AM

Answers

• Are you trying to set permissions on the NAS (it isn't an "external drive" - it is a network attached storage device that you have)?
    And, are you doing this because you want to use it as a Centralized Backup location in OneCare?

I'll assume that you are using OneCare.

Your Iomega drive is not attaced to the PC and it is a "mapped drive" in Windows because it is a location on the network - that is the drive is actually a storage server. If you installed software on your PC from Iomega in order for the drive to become drive M on your PC, you'll need to refer to Iomega's instructions on how to set up permissions. You can't share a mapped drive as it is already a Share or network location. Since it is a mapped drive, OneCare treats it as an internal drive, I suspect.

To use the drive for Centralized backup, you need to access the drive this way:  \\server\share where "server" is the name of the device as seen on your network or the assigned IP address and "share" is the name of the Share on the device.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 11:31 AM