none
Size of hard drive is not recognized? RRS feed

Answers

• What you're seeing is normal. WHS doesn't assign a drive letter to anything but the partitions on the system drive, and only drives with drive letters assigned will appear in My Computer. Note: you shouldn't try to assign a drive letter yourself; using Disk Management is one of the faster ways I know of to break WHS. Smile.

Since you've determined that the system boots, you should turn your server off, disconnect the keyboard, video, and mouse, and restart it, then install the connector on one or more client PCs. Use the Console for your administrative tasks; it will show you that all the drives in your server are part of the server's storage pool, I'm pretty sure.
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 12:10 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Thank you for your quick response.  I understand everything you said and will follow your directions.

I sincerely appreciate your help.  One thing I have learned in life; to really know you must teach.

Thanks to you and all others who partisipate in this great forum.

P.S.

Did everything you said, accessed the WHS over the network using the connector software then lookd at storage.  Storage is almost 1 terabyte!

Thanks again.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 5:27 PM
  • Tom, what message are you getting, exactly, on your client PCs? What sequence of events preceded the warning? In particular, did you copy any files directly to D:\shares\[sharename] on the server?
    Saturday, October 20, 2007 5:40 PM

All replies

• HI Bill

Can you give us a little bit more information?

what type of hard drive is it?

is the drive itself recongised at all?

where is it plugged in?

what version of WHS are you using?

Andrew

Thursday, October 18, 2007 10:24 AM
  • Sorry for the incomplete request for help.  I am on my new server (just finished loading WHS) and IE did not have Java,.  Therefore, I could not type in this section!  It took me a while to figure that one out.

I am running WHS on my new server (ASUS TS300-E4/PA4 5U with an Intel 3040 LGA 775 processor and two identical Seagate Barracuda 500 GB SATA2 hard drives ports 0 and 1.)  The server has a back plane for 4 hot swap drives.  Installed 2 gigs of ram and the box fired right up.  I was surprised as I have never put a computer together before. Arrived via UPS yesterday afternoon from newegg, assembled the parts and here I am.

BTW, WHS was a dream to load compared to other MS products and the software recoganized the drives and their sizes during the installation.

However, after the installation, I looked at "My Computer" and it says; SYS C: Local Disk total size 20.0 GB Free space 14.9 GB  DATA D: Local Disk Total Size 445 GB  444GB Free Space.

I appreciate you input, maybe I should have gone to bed rather than pulling an all nighter!  Hard to sleep with a big box from UPS in you living room with one big puzzle inside.

As a side note, WHS came as OEM software bundled with the server at a lower $.  So far everything seems great except for the indicated drive sizes.

Thanks again! 

Thursday, October 18, 2007 10:59 AM
  • What you're seeing is normal. WHS doesn't assign a drive letter to anything but the partitions on the system drive, and only drives with drive letters assigned will appear in My Computer. Note: you shouldn't try to assign a drive letter yourself; using Disk Management is one of the faster ways I know of to break WHS. Smile.

Since you've determined that the system boots, you should turn your server off, disconnect the keyboard, video, and mouse, and restart it, then install the connector on one or more client PCs. Use the Console for your administrative tasks; it will show you that all the drives in your server are part of the server's storage pool, I'm pretty sure.
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 12:10 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Thank you for your quick response.  I understand everything you said and will follow your directions.

I sincerely appreciate your help.  One thing I have learned in life; to really know you must teach.

Thanks to you and all others who partisipate in this great forum.

P.S.

Did everything you said, accessed the WHS over the network using the connector software then lookd at storage.  Storage is almost 1 terabyte!

Thanks again.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 5:27 PM
  • Hi,
    my problem is related. I have 1 internal (150GB) and 2 external hdd (500GBeach) and everything looks fine in the console - the drives are added to the storage devices and the storage space on the right side looks good. But the problem is that WHS reports insufficient storage through the WHS icon on each client. Also the Windows Explorer shows only the internal drive and only shows the total of 150GB on C: and D:

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Saturday, October 20, 2007 4:28 PM
  • Tom,

That's correct. If you read Kens' post above, what you see through the Console is what you have available in the storage pool.

Windows explorer will only 'see' drives C: & D:, it isn't intelligent enough to know about extra drive space being added on.

What does the pie chart show as used/available in the Server Storage Tab? That is the most accurate indication of available space.

Colin

Saturday, October 20, 2007 4:57 PM
  • Tom, what message are you getting, exactly, on your client PCs? What sequence of events preceded the warning? In particular, did you copy any files directly to D:\shares\[sharename] on the server?
    Saturday, October 20, 2007 5:40 PM
  • Thanks for your replies!

I get the message: " Error: System Hard drive has less than 5GB free space.Please add a hard drive to your server storage or delete some files." This pops up as soon I connnect to the server and I can't copy more files into the shares because they are full although the storage server should have 700GB free space.

I made a screenshot of the console:

http://rief.co.at/WHS_problem.jpg

I believe I did copy files directly into D:\shares\[sharename] - would that cause the problem? Must I use the path \\Server\[sharename] instead?

Thanks,

Tom

Sunday, October 21, 2007 10:13 AM
  • Thank you Ken, your input saved me. Indeed the problem was that I copied directly into D:\shares\[sharename]. Now I cut and paste from D: into \\Server and the Network is healthy again!

Sunday, October 21, 2007 10:39 AM
  • Ken, I am having similar problems.

My console shows 1.8tb drive size on the D: drive. Mose of it is free.

I tried to copy a bunch of files to the D: and it got to 445gb and errored out saying drive is full.

Also the used space in the drive properties is a corrupted name of garbage.

I have 2 500gb and 2 400gb drives in the drive pool. I have 2 80gb drives in raid for the OS.

Saturday, August 28, 2010 11:13 AM
  • Ken, I am having similar problems.

My console shows 1.8tb drive size on the D: drive. Mose of it is free.

I tried to copy a bunch of files to the D: and it got to 445gb and errored out saying drive is full.

Also the used space in the drive properties is a corrupted name of garbage.

I have 2 500gb and 2 400gb drives in the drive pool. I have 2 80gb drives in raid for the OS.

First, you should start your own thread (instead of adding to one from almost 3 years ago, in which this thread is related to the beta version, not RTM/PP1/PP2/PP3).

Copying to D:\shares is not supported and can cause the problems you're seeing.  All copies should go to the UNC path (\\server\[sharename]).  And the "garbage" in the Properties tab is normal due to how WHS handles the storage pool.

Saturday, August 28, 2010 3:28 PM