none
mpiexec on windows 8 and windows 7 setup RRS feed

• Question

• hey

i have windows 8 which i want to use as master and about 20 windows 7 machines which will act as clusters. i'm kind of noob so tired to setup like this:

all machines are part of network

i installed

Microsoft HPC Pack on all machines and add mpiexec to env and run "smpd.exe -d"

when i tried to start my program like:

mpiexec /hosts 2 192.168.11.6(master) 1 192.168.11.112(cluster) 1 c:\path\to\program.exe

on the 192.168.11.112 machine smpd.exe will give me error:

"[-1:3772] ERROR: AcceptSecurityContext failed with error 0x8009030c
    [-1:3772] ERROR: unable to process the sspi server iteration buffer"

and error i recieve same time in mpiexec is :

"No MPI error, error stack:

connection closed by peer"

i checked all firewall are down too.

what is wrong with my setup. thanks and sorry for my bad english! ^_^

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 12:23 PM

All replies

• To setup a HPC cluster, firstly, you need to setup a head node. If you are using HPC 2012 R2, the supported OS version for head node are Windows Server 2012 R2 or Windows Server 2012. Client version like Windows 8 are not supported. Once you get head node ready, you can add compute nodes or workstation nodes to the cluster. If the cluster is ready, you are able to submit jobs including MPI jobs.

It's another story if you just want to execute some MPI application out of HPC cluster box.

BR, Yizhong

Thursday, May 22, 2014 9:17 AM
  • As Yizhong stated, the easiest way to have a cluster is to setup a head node.  You can then add your workstation nodes to the cluster and run MPI jobs across your nodes.

When you launch smpd in SDK mode (smpd -d), you must run it under the same credentials as mpiexec for the job to launch.  If smpd detects that the user running mpiexec does not match the user that ran smpd -d, it will report the error you witnessed.

What version of the MS-MPI redistributable (and HPC Pack) are you using?

-Fab

Friday, July 11, 2014 10:35 PM