Downloaded validation tool won't install RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I run a genuine XP that I regularly update via automatic updates. After installing th most recent update I was also informed that a new version (I suppose) of the validation tool would be installed (KB905474). It donloaded fine but it won't install! Thus I constantly get messages about a new update available. Very annoying. :)
    If I could I would download a new copy of the update, but I can't find any direct download link, and when I use automatic updates it claims it has already downloaded all it needs and is ready to install (but the installation fails, of course.). I have been searching for an answer for some time but hasn't been able to come up with anything. I pass the online validation check on the Microsoft page, no problem there, and as far as I can tell from the report I'm posting below there are no license problems involved. Any tip would be much appreciated!

Oh, and I also tried this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=69498 found on the "please read before you post"-tab, but I can't access the page.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-BQFF4-K6T89-VFR33
    Windows Product Key Hash: 8E5CIUZcUrS6YTAikeI1Hpz97AQ=
    Windows Product ID: 76464-OEM-2269011-28449
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {08322B29-C162-474E-B558-0000C701BDDE}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.8.31.9
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.7.111.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-153-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: D:\Program\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{08322B29-C162-474E-B558-0000C701BDDE}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VFR33</PKey><PID>76464-OEM-2269011-28449</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1177238915-1364589140-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>P5K</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>0704   </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20071030000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>47743FF70184AE7B</HWID><UserLCID>041D</UserLCID><SystemLCID>041D</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Västeuropa, normaltid(GMT+01:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.8.31.9"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.8.31.9"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 143E0:ASUSTeK Computer Inc|15AC7:GENUINE C&C INC|9AD4:HITACHI, Ltd|9AD4:HITACHI, Ltd|9AD4:HITACHI, Ltd
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:28 PM

Answers

• Hello Pontfogel,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum.  As Dan mentioned your post is out of scope for the WGA program because it relates to Windows Update "WU".  In addition to what Dan offered I also recommend posting your question to the “Discussions in Windows XP General” or the “Discussions in Windows XP Newsgroups” here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US 

Please post back and let us know the advice in the WU forum :-).  Take care and thank you again.

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:27 PM
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:27 PM

All replies

• Hello Pontfogel,

Until the WGA Notifier is installed and working, technically your problem is classified as a Windows Update problem.

Search for "Dial-a-Fix" v0.6.  I have used it many times with great success to iron out Windows Updates problems.

Post back to tell us how you are doing :-)
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Hello Pontfogel,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum.  As Dan mentioned your post is out of scope for the WGA program because it relates to Windows Update "WU".  In addition to what Dan offered I also recommend posting your question to the “Discussions in Windows XP General” or the “Discussions in Windows XP Newsgroups” here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US 

Please post back and let us know the advice in the WU forum :-).  Take care and thank you again.

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:27 PM
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:27 PM
  • Hello Stephen and Dan!

After much tinkering, fiddling and banging my head against hard objects I actually solved it: I had disabled the Task Scheduler service. The funny thing is that this hasn't prevented me from installing numerous other updates, including service pack 3, without any problem at all. Computers may be logical, but it's a logic I'll never understand. :)

Thank you both for your answers and assistance!
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 4:31 PM
  • Hey Pontfogel :-)

Thank you for taking the time and providing us with feedback as how the problem was resolved. We are here to help so if you have other WGA problems please visit us again.

Take care,

Stephen
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 4:50 PM