none
"oh god, please let the data be there!" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have suffered a primary disk failure.

I replaced the disk, booted from the install dvd and selected "server reinstallation"
    The screen assured me that the data disks would not be harmed.

I went away and left it installing, and when i came back it had just completed.
    after setting the password etc i went into whs console and although all my non standard share folders where there they are all marked empty except software.
    server storage reports all drives healthy but 3.4Tb free !!! AAArrrrghhhh!
    I have 1 1Tb and 3 750Gb secondaries. All my data had folder duplication on.

I installed all the windows updates i was offered and recreated my user accounts, now server storage says 2.7tb in use (system, grey)and 700gb free (white).
    the shares are still empty but at least I guess the data still on the drives.

Task manager shows demigrator.exe is busy (50-60% cpu) and I can hear disk access from both the primary and the secondary disks.

My questionsare these:
    Is demigrator.exe doing a rebuildprimary?
    what should i see happen, if anything?
    if/when rebuildprimary is complete does all the data apear again in the correct place or is that just wishfull thinking?

Thanks in advance.

STeve

Thursday, August 6, 2009 10:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have suffered a primary disk failure.

I replaced the disk, booted from the install dvd and selected "server reinstallation"
    The screen assured me that the data disks would not be harmed.

I went away and left it installing, and when i came back it had just completed.
    after setting the password etc i went into whs console and although all my non standard share folders where there they are all marked empty except software.
    server storage reports all drives healthy but 3.4Tb free !!! AAArrrrghhhh!
    I have 1 1Tb and 3 750Gb secondaries. All my data had folder duplication on.

I installed all the windows updates i was offered and recreated my user accounts, now server storage says 2.7tb in use (system, grey)and 700gb free (white).
    the shares are still empty but at least I guess the data still on the drives.

Task manager shows demigrator.exe is busy (50-60% cpu) and I can hear disk access from both the primary and the secondary disks.

My questionsare these:
    Is demigrator.exe doing a rebuildprimary?

Not once you have access to your shares.  The rebuild process happens before you have access to your data.

what should i see happen, if anything?

Once it's reinstalled, nothing.

if/when rebuildprimary is complete does all the data apear again in the correct place or is that just wishfull thinking?

Thanks in advance.

STeve
    It sounds to me like your Server Reinstallation didn't work as expected.  Did you see all of your hard drives in the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen?  Did you let the reinstallation run through to completion?  (It's done when you see the Welcome screen on the monitor.)  My suggestion would be to try another Server Reinstallation.
    Friday, August 7, 2009 3:19 AM
  • Hi Steve,
    if kariyas hints don't help you, check the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    The fact, that 2.7 TB is shown as system points to the fact, that the data seems still to be there, but not detected as part of the former WHS installation.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, August 10, 2009 9:05 AM