Create System Image in WHS 2011? RRS feed

• Question

• Simple question: 

How do I make a system image of the OS and server config in WHS 2011?  For the second time, I'm having to re-install WHS using the stock installation disks because of database corruption issues I can't resolve.

Ideally in the future, I'd like to be able to use my system repair disk to re-install the OS system image of WHS 2011 as it is shortly after a full manual install that's clean, that's running well and has all the updates as possible.

I'd like to keep this system image on a separate detached USB drive as it seems whenever the WHS backup database gets corrupted, it also makes its own system image unstable (ugh)!

I keep seeing: "Select restore your computer from a system image you created earlier. " but nowhere does it discuss how to *make* a system image (easy in Win7) but I'm missing something elemental in WHS (which runs on WS08r2). 

Thanks! 

Nat 

PS -- I did search the forum to avoid having to post this -- but couldn't find my answer. 

Nat

Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:42 PM

All replies

• You are aware of the bare-metal backup/restore capability of WHS 2011?

Have you done any backup for the server yet?

When using the instalation disk you will be prompted at an appropriate time

to use a backup set (providing you have done a backup).

Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:30 PM
  • As Garry says, just back up your Server and you can do a complete bare metal re-installation. I would be more concerned about why you are getting "database corruption" - what are the symptoms and what have you done to correct the problem?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, April 27, 2012 1:18 AM
  • It sounds like your hard drive has some bad block and the bad blocks are getting worse. But to answer your question regarding making a backup image, all you have to do is go to your Windows Explorer and right click on the drive you want to make an image of and go to properties, then tools and click on the Backup button. Then under Actions go to Backup Once and go to Different Options.  Follow the instructions from there.  Good Luck...

Night Owl

Monday, April 30, 2012 1:28 AM