none
Specific Windows Update for 10 and 7 causes network drives and devises to become invisible/inaccessible from laptop. RRS feed

• Question

• A specific windows update is causing all network drives to become hidden/lost from laptop - Both Win 10 and Win 7.

I am trying to find which Windows Update that causes my local WORKGROUP network unavailable from the laptops for Win 7 and Win 10.  I can connect to the internet wired and w/ wifi. Just can't see or connect to my network anymore.

All of the previously mapped devises and hard drives are gone and rebooting, resetting both laptops and modems, reinstalling drivers etc does not work.

The other devices on the network can see and some can connect to the laptops...One device says "connection refused".

This has occurred after letting Windows update to latest on both my Win 7 and Win 10 laptops.

I was able to rollback one of the Windows 10 updates (the one that completely changes the right mouse click over start button menu items and does not want u to use the old control panel for some reason) by stumbling upon a setting that asks if this version of Win 10 is causing apps not to work etc and allows you to revert to last version...

I am assuming the same is happening w/ Win 7 but am unable to go to previous restore point and would like to just uninstall the specific update that is causing the same issue on Win 7 laptops.

Also, does Win 10 not let u pick and choose which updates to install like Win 7 updater?
    And where can I find what version/release # of Win 10 ?

I have stopped Win 10 from updating due to this issue. See link:
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

Thanks.

• Moved by Just KarlModerator Tuesday, October 3, 2017 5:46 PM Looking for the correct forum
    Tuesday, October 3, 2017 1:49 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows Update forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 5:45 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The TechNet Wiki Discussion Forum is a place for the TechNet Wiki Community to engage, question, organize, debate, help, influence and foster the TechNet Wiki content, platform and Community.

Please note that this forum exists to discuss TechNet Wiki as a technology/application.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the Where is the forum for... forum.

Karl

• Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows Update forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl