none
Should a firewall be installed on my Windows Home Server? RRS feed

• Question

• My home server came with McAfee's SAAS Total Protection.  It was already on my server, ready to be installed as an add-in.  I did that.  However, McAfee reports that I didn't install the firewall or browser protection.  I tried to do that, but the resulting install of the firewall ran on my PC, rather than my home server (because I was accessing the home server only from the console on my PC).  Fortunately it failed because it detected that I already had conflicting virus software on my PC.

Now, however, I notice that McAfee on the server is no longer reporting errors about not installing the firewall or browser protection.

I don't know if I should be installing these, but it seems to me that I would want a firewall running on my home server.  At this point, I have no idea how I would install it.  I have now discovered how to log into my home server using the Remote Desktop, so I presume that I could run the .exe that would install the firewall, but I'm not sure if I should do that.

Any advice?

Saturday, February 26, 2011 9:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Windows Home Server has it's Firewall enabled by default.
    No need to install anything.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:20 PM
  • I contacted McAfee about this and finally got someone there who understood the Home Server.  She confirmed what you say.  Thanks.
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows Home Server has it's Firewall enabled by default.
    No need to install anything.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:20 PM
  • I contacted McAfee about this and finally got someone there who understood the Home Server.  She confirmed what you say.  Thanks.
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:53 PM