hleOfxQuotes Exchange Rates RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using hleOFXQuotes to load both stock quotes and exchange rates into MS Money. Most recent build I used was hleOfxQuotes-Build_20171104_123-app.jar, which included an option first added in Build_20111221_78 that added a tab to the UI for updating exchange rates in Money.  You did this by adding lines in the symbol table for the desired rate (e.g., "EURUSD=X"). A separate tab was present "Exchange Rates" that was populated with the rates.  When that tab was selected, a button was available to update MSMoney with the values before starting Money. I just tried Build_20180723_209, and see that the exchange rate tab is no longer present.  Looks like this first occurred with a lot of work was done on FX conversion of stock values back in Build_20171230_170.  Anyone else experience this?  Has hleOFX stopped supporting the automated import of FX rates?
    Thursday, August 13, 2020 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Scott,

I have not work on the quotes tool for a while now so I don't remember the history of the change for the exchange rate (old age does that to you ;-).

But I do believe the support just got roll into the main window where you enter security/symbol. Another word EURUSD=X is treated as just another symbol. Internally, the tool will try to auto-recognized it as a FX and the price conversion will be shown in the new tab labeled "Converted Price". 

Please give that a try and see if it works as you expect. If not, let me know and I will try to chase that down.

Also, there is now some support for specify "attributes" using the '/' separator to the symbol. For example:

AAPL/USD/GBP
      converts the returns price from USD to GBP
      IMPORTANT: Make sure to include a meta-symbol USDGBP so that we will also lookup
        the current rate.

See: https://github.com/hleofxquotes/hleofxquotes/blob/master/dist/old/Build_20171230_170/README-Build_20171230_170.txt

Best,

Thursday, August 13, 2020 4:10 PM
  • Thanks!  I did in fact try, and the exchange rate DID roll into the main Quote Source Prices window.  However, when I "Import to MSMoney" the new rate is not imported.  I recall (I guess it was YOU!) had problems back in 2011 in that the FX rates could not be changed on a running MSMoney DB, so Sunriise was used to import the rates into the DB before actually running Money.  That showed up as the separate tab with the separate action button to load the FX before running Money. That tab & button are now missing ...

---Scott---

Thursday, August 13, 2020 4:24 PM
  • Ah ... I have the context now. 

Will take a look to restore that functionality when I have a chance.

Thursday, August 13, 2020 5:06 PM
  • Thx!
    Thursday, August 13, 2020 5:14 PM
  • Hi Scott,

I just spent a couple of minutes reviewing the changes I've made on the exchange rate front. I think the main reason I remove it was that

• I did not think that updating the Money currency rates will have any "positive" impact. Can you refresh my memory on the use case here? That updating Money currency rate table will "make XYZ works better/correctly"?
    • Part of the lack of understand of need probably because I don't really have to deal with multi-currencies: my base currency is USD, all my securities are in USD. 
    Thursday, August 13, 2020 8:02 PM
  • I have accounts in multiple countries.  Money does a good job in supporting this (e.g., account currency = Euro) ... and reports then the value, etc. in both the account currency AND main currency (in my case US$). That's why I like to keep the exchange rate updated  Actually, I had been using Build_20171104_123 with no problems, but am setting up a new PC which caused me to look at what was the most current. After the problems with exchange rate support in Build_20171230_170 and later versions, I instead installed Build_20171110_131, which works fine for me.  I am good with that one, if you do not want to update!  I can only thank you immensely for maintaining this program for so many years!

---Scott---

Friday, August 14, 2020 2:59 PM