How to replace WHS System drive without losing data? RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a very similar problem. I'm trying to replace a failing 500GB SATA hard drive with a WD 2TB SATA drive and run a "server reinstall", which seems to work, but none of the data drives are seen as data drives, they are seen as disks not added to the storage pool. I really have tried just about everything except the "registry entry  trick" so far. Right now, I'm copying all of my data (3TB) from the server to another disk (2, actually), then I'll do a fresh server install with the new SATA drives, then recreate all of my shares and copy the 3TB of data over the network back to the server. Overall, I've been very happy with WHS over the past 4 years or so I've had it, but this is the end of the road. The inability to "seamlessly" replace a failed system drive is a showstopper for me and I will be looking for a suitable replacement for the WHS solution ASAP. Thanks!

Art Zasadny
    Sunday, December 5, 2010 3:08 PM

All replies

• Art, if your SATA disks are running in AHCI or RAID mode, and you aren't explicitly supplying appropriate drivers, your disks may fail to reintegrate during a server recovery. Once that has happened, you can either copy data off of your disks, do a new installation, and copy it back to your server, or you can try completely wiping the system disk.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 5, 2010 8:19 PM
  • Ken,

Thanks for the info. No RAID mode here.. I have 2 SATA 2TB WD drives hooked to the Dell motherboard and 2 SATA 2TB WD drives connected to a VIA SATA add-in card. I supplied the drivers during the "Reinstallation", but no matter what I do, the data drives are seen as "not added to the storage pool". So, what I'm doing now id copying the 3TB of data over the network to other drives, after all data is copied to external locations, I'll put new hard drives (Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB SATA) into the server, install WHS, then after all is patched and updated, copy the data over the network back to the newly installed hard drives on the server. Of course, this is a lot of tedious, mind-numbing effort that I shouldn't have to do. I've NEVER seen the "Server Reinstallation" process see the data drives when it's completed. It always leaves the drives as "not added to the storage pool". Very disappointing, to say the least...

Art Zasadny
    Monday, December 6, 2010 3:39 PM