HP LX-195 Deactivated Windows WPA Licensing System RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I noticed the health light blinking blue on my server last night.  I at first thought the HDD failed, but the curious fact was that the shares still worked.  I could access my files but I couldn't get into the server in any other way. 

After getting desperate I loaded the drive into another machine and started it up to see what the issue could be (the LX being a headless machine) and found that windows was demanding activation.  I know changing the hardware full over requires reactivation, but I do believe it gives a grace period to reactivate so I don't think my troubleshooting step had to do with this.  Furthermore the behavior was identical to how it was when in the MSS hardware, leading me to believe the issue was Windows Activation the whole time. 

I know that I can do a server recovery to resolve this, but I've invested A LOT of time into the MSS installing my custom hacks such as VNC Server, Sharepoint, OPENVPN, and I DO _NOT_ want to perform the HP recovery option.  Is there any way to set up WPA so it automatically activates when back in the hardware?  OR at least get out of the "restricted" logon status so I can VNC into the machine to perform an activation?   It's so ridiculous that I'm locked out of a perfectly functional machine that I have done nothing to "deactivate".

Monday, March 29, 2010 1:09 AM

All replies

• On a headless server, your options are extremely limited. With keyboard, video, and mouse, there are some additional possibilities, such as this Microsoft Knowledgebase article , but without the ability to log in locally, recovery is all that you ave available to you.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 29, 2010 2:10 AM
  • Hello Brink,

You could try instructions on the following URL provided you can connect that hard drive to a computer and boot using windows 2003 install disk or using "Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312295/en-us

Raja

Thursday, April 1, 2010 8:36 AM