off topic - Stolen Account Info? RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

I signed up for my current Windows Live ID almost a year ago so that I would have an account with my new name after I got married. I didn't use it for several months, and when I came back I have 600+ spam emails. I was also signed up for several newsletters and mailings based out of Texas that I did not sign up for, being an Indiana resident. About 3 months ago I kept getting "forgot password" requests from someone who thought my accunt was in fact their own. Now the spam has returned and I am getting emails from this person's friend that look somewhat personal in nature, indicating that they are most likely not spam. I clearly need some way to make my account more secure. Can anyone help me with this, as I did not find an appropriate help topic from the Windows Live help center?

Thanks,

Mandy

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:48 PM

All replies

• You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare.

However, what you are facing is pretty common these days, unfortunately. Someone thinks that your Hotmail account belongs to them. They have used your email address to sign up for newsletters. They probably also used your email address on various web sites, hence the increase in spam. There isn't too much that you can do. I have two accounts that get the same activity and clearly there are two different people think that the addresses belong to them.

You can safely ignore the password resets and make sure that your actual password is strong. Make sure that you also have the secret questions for your account. Set up the spam filtering at as high a level that you wish.

If you don't want to deal with all of that, abandon the account and sign up for a new one. http://account.live.com

If you want to contact support - http://support.live.com

-steve

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 4:06 PM