locked
Setting up domain fails when using a second level domain (Subdomain) RRS feed

  • Question

  • I know WHS 2011 can be fickle in regards to setting up a domain, uPnP etc.. But this is beyond amusing.

    Basically I bought a TLD domain a few months ago through eNom Central along with a SSL Certificate. This was fine as I simply used the entire domain to be attached to my WHS 2011 Server, it worked great from day one. Now however things of changed and I'm using my web hosting purchased through another company (Not eNom) which is also attached to my domain via various host records. Now the Top Level of the domain is no longer being used for WHS 2011 but instead for web hosting along with other subdomains for my websites. In order to continue using Remote Web Access with my domain I created an A record called remote, pointing to my WHS 2011 server IP (With Dynamic DNS Updating). So I now have a subdomain address for accessing RWA rather than using the top level:

    remote.mydomain.co.uk

    (mydomain.co.uk is obviously for example purposes, not the real domain)

    This also works fine, now the problem. For whatever reason the Domain Setup Wizard through the Dashboard does not want to accept any type of subdomain address to be setup as the domain. Every time I tried to use the domain remote.mydomain.co.uk through the setup wizard it would just error out after a few moments saying the generic:

    An Error occurred while setting up your domain name

    The domain name was not set up for your server. Wait a few minutes and run the wizard again.

    An unexpected or unknown problem occurred. Please wait a few minutes, and then try again.

    That means absolutely nothing to me what so ever. I looked through the event logs but couldn't find anything related to domain setup. Strangely enough if I assign just the top level domain i.e. mydomain.co.uk the wizard completes successfully saying RWA can now be accessed at mydomain.co.uk, however this isn't the case as my host records don't have the TLD domain pointing to the WHS 2011 server, only the subdomain.

    I would just ignore the wizard completely but because its not been set up the "correct" way, my SSL certificate keeps being changed to the certificate that the server generates itself, causing SSL errors.

    If anyone knows how I can solve this I'd really appreciate hearing from you, as this has been getting on my nerves for a while.

    Thanks,

    James 


    Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:30 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Please see this wiki article, mentioned in a sticky at the top of this forum...

    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

    • Marked as answer by jamesmacwhite Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:25 PM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:23 PM
  • Funnily enough I did actually come across that article earlier but was put off due to it not explicitly saying "Windows Home Server 2011" and what with modifying the registry the chance of messing up the WHS install and all..

    Never the less thank you so much, the wizard was able to complete successfully after that registry change and now have a subdomain setup properly! I'm not sure I need to perform the manual SSL import via PowerShell, but I'll bookmark it just in case!

    Thanks again!

    Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:46 PM
  • Funnily enough I did actually come across that article earlier but was put off due to it not explicitly saying "Windows Home Server 2011" and what with modifying the registry the chance of messing up the WHS install and all..

    I understand your trepidation.

    It's hard to tell if someone has read the appropriate FAQs, stickies, etc. And frankly almost nobody does. Which is why I was somewhat, umm, brusque. :)


    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

    Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:01 PM