authentication problem RRS feed

• Question

• i don't want to get anyone in trouble with the law but someone came over to my house to fix my computer, we ended up having ot reinstall windows, for the product key he used some corprate one and now i can't update because it says its not genuine. i have a genuine XP copy though which makes me wonder why he wouldn't just use that one to install. its an OEM. i want to change my product key so i can be genuinly autenticated without reformatting. I purchased it off newegg. bottom line i talked a rep on the phone and they said that i can't get a key or something because its not a retail copy i have to contact my computer manufactor. well there is a cd that came with my computer to reinstall windows but it doesn't give me the product key and i don't want to lose all of my current data. so i want to use the one i purchased from newegg but i can't get a validation id or something the microsoft rep said on the phone, online. so im not sure what i'm suppose to do. i want to change my product id without reformatting. what should i do?!
    Thursday, May 4, 2006 12:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• maddawg:

We're working on a tool that will allow you to change Product Keys without reformatting, but it is still under development.

I suggest reinstalling at this point, as security holes and hacked binary files may have been introduced to bypass WGA. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but its our suggested route.

Thursday, May 4, 2006 12:39 AM
  • thats fine i guess ill just wait. i have auto updates turned on so at least those will still download. is there a way you could let me know when this tool will come out? or is this gonna be one of those things that comes out around the time of vista?
    Thursday, May 4, 2006 12:48 AM
  • We'll be posting it here. Check back.
    Thursday, May 4, 2006 2:45 AM