Missing records when doing a Mail Merge RRS feed

• Question

• Does any one knows if it's possible to change the criteria for which records is being included when doing a Mail Merge on e.g. a Marketing List?

As an example, I can see that when I have a Marketing List with Leads where they are all Qualified, then no records is being returned when I do a "Mail Merge on List Members". The same seems to be the case if the Leads are "disqualified". I have also over time noticed simliar rules with other entities.

While some of the "rules" makes sense, it could in some case be great if it is possible to bypass or change these rules.

Steen Schlüter Persson (DK)
    Monday, November 8, 2010 9:10 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Steen, qualified and disqualified leads are both inactive records and I don't think CRM will let you mail merge to inactive records. The definition of inactive means that these records are no longer needed for actions like mail merge.

So, you'll have to go the long way round and export the inactive records to Excel and perform the mail merge outside CRM.

Regards, Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Monday, November 8, 2010 9:19 AM
  • Hi Neil,

Thanks for your reply. It's also more or less what I have found out myself. I know it's the same on e.g. Contacts, where Inactive contacts isn't included in the Mail Merge.

It would be a great feature though if you in some way could bypass these rules -or if the application would tell the user which records that isn't inlcuded in the mail merge merge. With a list of e.g. 3000 members it's not easy to find the ones that for some reason ins't included in a Mail Merge.

Monday, November 8, 2010 9:25 AM
  • When you open a marketing list and look at the List Members Area, the default view is All Members, but there ar two other views available: Active Members and Inactive Members. So if you look in the Inactive Members a view, that's a list of all the accounts/contacts/leads that won't be included in mail merges, direct e-mail or campaign activities if you use this list.

Bypassing this 'feature' and including inactive records in mail merge, direct email and campaign activities would result in sending communications to contacts who had died or gone away, records that had been merged, contacts that have moved away, leads that have been disqualified, accounts that have gone out of business, etc. so it just doesn't make sense for the vast majority of CRM users to ever include those records. Obviously, you're the exception to that principle ; )

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Monday, November 8, 2010 9:30 AM
  • I agree that it makes sense in most cases, but sometimes one could just wish a different functionality..:-).
    Monday, November 8, 2010 9:35 AM
  • BTW, do you know if it's possible to change the default members view to be "Active Members" rather than "All Members"?
    Monday, November 8, 2010 1:05 PM
  • Easy! http://customery.wordpress.com/2010/03/30/changing-the-default-view-for-marketing-list-members/

Monday, November 8, 2010 1:14 PM
  • Thanks. Easy, but not very obvious way to change it...:-)
    Monday, November 8, 2010 1:41 PM