Laptop cannot connect to WHS when restoring RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows Home Server with 2 computers connected to it. I have always been able to restore my desktop fine but I've never been successful with my laptop. I have tried restoring my laptop using my WHS but when I do I get an error that my laptop needs to be connected to the network and to make sure that my server is on (as if I didn't know that already). This error comes up after the driver install screen (I already installed all the networking drivers from the Windows Home Server Drivers folder). I also tried hooking up and Ethernet cable from my router directly to my laptop and that still didn't do it. So if anyone knows how to fix this, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:32 PM

All replies

• Eric

You don't say which version of WHS you are using nor whether your laptop is running a 64-bit version of Windows. If its WHS1 and a 64-bit client OS, the 64 bit drivers will not be in the Server Drivers folder and you need to install them seperately during the restore process.

Phil

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 3:28 PM
  • I'm sorry about not being more in depth about my posts. I am just running the current version of WHS, not the new 2011 beta. My laptop is not 64-bit, it's running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Let me know if there is anything else that you need to help me with this matter.
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 2:23 PM
  • WHS 2011 is not in Beta. You can order it from Newegg (which I recently did) and it is ready to go. I built my WHS 2011 server a couple of days ago. As far as your restore problem the issue is definitely going to be network drivers for your LAN card in the notebook. Grab the drivers from the vendor site (sometimes the notebook manufacturer hosts them for you, other times you need to go download them from Intel, RealTek, etc. - whoever made the card). Once you get those added in you should be OK.
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 4:38 PM
  • I have tried copying the Windows Home Server Drivers for restore folder as well as just directly downloading those drivers from the manufacturer (Asus) and that still doesn't work. It says that it cannot be found and gives the option to search again (which I've done) or to enter in you server manually. Anytime I try that I get an error after I type in my server's name. The error reads, "A network error has occurred. Please verify that your network connection is active and that your Windows Home Server is powered on."

All of those are utterly useless suggestions because I know that all of them are working. I'm wondering though, if I upgrade to WHS 2011, would I have these problems? My desktop has always been able to restore its just my laptop. 

Sunday, June 12, 2011 4:58 PM
  • Try the X-Files Client Restore CD from Breaking Home Server

http://breakinghomeserver.com/2010/08/08/whs-client-restore-1-3/

It has many, many, more drivers that aren't on MS's Restore CD.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I have tried copying the Windows Home Server Drivers for restore folder as well as just directly downloading those drivers from the manufacturer (Asus) and that still doesn't work. It says that it cannot be found and gives the option to search again (which I've done) or to enter in you server manually. Anytime I try that I get an error after I type in my server's name. The error reads, "A network error has occurred. Please verify that your network connection is active and that your Windows Home Server is powered on."

All of those are utterly useless suggestions because I know that all of them are working. I'm wondering though, if I upgrade to WHS 2011, would I have these problems? My desktop has always been able to restore its just my laptop.

BullDawg
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:32 PM