Shared Folders Access Denied RRS feed

• Question

• I know this is a FAQ, but I've yet to see a solution. I don't have a password on my PC (I don't want one), but I can log into the WHS console with the Admin password OK. I can create a new Shared Folder (say "Test") and set the Properties and the User Access.

However, if I try to Open it, I get a dialog box saying: "\\WHS\Test" Access is denied. 

I'm considering renaming my server from WHS to WTF Smile

Friday, November 23, 2007 6:50 PM

Answers

• This was what I was trying to get at from my post above.  If you install the connector software on the machine that has no password and assign a user name that is different than the user name that is used to logon the pc without the password, then things should work as you desire.

I have a machine that has no password the user name for local logon to the computer is "James"  and password is nothing.  I have a user in WHS setup as  user logon "Jamie" and password is a medium strength password.

When you run the connector software you would specify in my example the user Jamie user as the WHS user name and it will ask you for the password due to the fact that the WHS user name is different than the local Logon name.  It will only ask for the password once, and subsequent logons to this machine will not require a password and will automatically log the user onto the WHS using the alternate credentials.

Hope this helps!

Saturday, November 24, 2007 5:39 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem and the only workaround I've found is to reboot after you create each and every share. Or, just create one super high level share, reboot, then keep creating folders underneath that.
    Friday, November 23, 2007 8:45 PM
  •  Boaster01 wrote:
    the only workaround I've found is to reboot after you create each and every share...

Tried that, didn't help.

FWIW, I can't access any of the other folders (Music, Photos ...) either.

Help!

Saturday, November 24, 2007 1:50 PM
  • So I assume that you installed the connector software using a user name/password that is different than the machine login user name that has no password.  Is this correct?

Saturday, November 24, 2007 3:34 PM
  • I had this issue, but it's not really an issue.  It's a security feature of WHS.  If one of the users has files stored on the server, then only they should be able to access them right?  Not everyone, especially not an account on a pc with no password at all.  The way to fix it is create a account on your pc with a user/password that matches what you want to use on the server.  Otherwise, I guess you could store your stuff in the public directory or a different non passworded folder on your WHS.  But I haven't tried that.. 
    Saturday, November 24, 2007 3:40 PM
  • >If one of the users has files stored on the server, then only they should be able to access them right? 

So why doesn't WHS just ask me for my password?

I really don't want a password on my PC, because it means I have to be there when it turns on.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 5:05 PM
  • This was what I was trying to get at from my post above.  If you install the connector software on the machine that has no password and assign a user name that is different than the user name that is used to logon the pc without the password, then things should work as you desire.

I have a machine that has no password the user name for local logon to the computer is "James"  and password is nothing.  I have a user in WHS setup as  user logon "Jamie" and password is a medium strength password.

When you run the connector software you would specify in my example the user Jamie user as the WHS user name and it will ask you for the password due to the fact that the WHS user name is different than the local Logon name.  It will only ask for the password once, and subsequent logons to this machine will not require a password and will automatically log the user onto the WHS using the alternate credentials.

Hope this helps!

Saturday, November 24, 2007 5:39 PM
  • Yes, I have seen this on a pc on my network.  I was trying to remember how it happened though.  When a user tried to access a folder, it did give a user/password box with the option to remember the password.  I just couldn't remember how it happened.  Thanks for the info tdog.
    Saturday, November 24, 2007 5:42 PM
  •  tDogEast wrote:

This was what I was trying to get at from my post above.  If you install the connector software on the machine that has no password and assign a user name that is different than the user name that is used to logon the pc without the password, then things should work as you desire.

I see what you mean, thanks. [Later: perhaps I misunderstood - I created an account called Test, rebooted, still couldn't access the files]

On the other hand, I've now found a way to log in to my PC automatically. 

Saturday, November 24, 2007 6:03 PM