Problems installing Windows Vista Enterprise RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I acquired a HP Pavillion DV6000 secondhand a couple of days ago. It had Windows Vista Home Premium on it. However, due to the line of work I am in - I had to become more familiar with Windows Vista Enterprise. Anyhow, had the Microsoft disc - slapped it in. Said I couldn't "upgrade" and had to do a clean install. Went out, downloaded the drivers and Vista Server Pack 1. Tried doing the clean install, and it crashed half way through.

Typical.

So since it crashed, and 'escaped' out of it - I was left with a half installed version of Windows Vista Enterprise and I am now seeing a Windows Boot Manager option saying:

Windows Setup
    Windows Vista

So my question is:

"How can I get rid of the boot manager option completely and restore it back to how it was?" (and no, I've finally managed to get the "system restore" working and it didn't get rid of the Boot Manager).

Oh also - I was under the impression that it was a legal requirement (am UK) for all sellers of new computers to enclose a copy of the original operating system OR the necessary restore CD's to accompany the machine. The machine originally came from PC World about a year ago (but as I say, I bought it a few days ago secondhand).
    Monday, April 13, 2009 3:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Smufy Chris,

Very sorry for posting so late, I am unsure how I missed this thread.

This forum is for the support of Vista Activation and Validation issue. I recommend posting your question in one of the Vista Answers forums at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsvista/ there are a number of knowledgeable community members and support engineers that should be able to answer your questions. 

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.

Friday, April 17, 2009 11:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Smufy Chris,

Very sorry for posting so late, I am unsure how I missed this thread.

This forum is for the support of Vista Activation and Validation issue. I recommend posting your question in one of the Vista Answers forums at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsvista/ there are a number of knowledgeable community members and support engineers that should be able to answer your questions. 

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.

Friday, April 17, 2009 11:35 PM
  • Thanks Darin.

Ironically I've only just finished getting a way around it (helluva job) but got it back to factory settings. For some reason it would not show the standard factory restore option and kept displaying the boot manager despite pressing F11. But it's sorted now.

Thanks for the reply.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 11:39 PM
  • Hi Chris,

My pleasure and I'm glad to hear you have it sorted now.  But keep the Vista Answers forums in mind. It's a great resource, be it for help with a major issue or just a random question.

And if you ever have a Activation of Validation issue, don't hesitate to contact me.

Have a great weekend!

Cheers,
    Darin MS
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 12:34 AM