none
DOMAIN NAME HOW-TO: Setting up WHS without using dynamic dns service? RRS feed

• Question

• All,
    Thanks in advance for the help. I'm new to WHS.  I already have my own domain name registered and hosted by a service provider (ZONEEDIT).  I do not need to subscribe to TMO or anyother dynamic DNS service.

Q:  How can I setup WHS (HP EX475) to use my own domain name and service provider?

Part Two:

Q: I already run a web server using port 80.  I want to setup WHS to use 8080 for public traffic and 80 for LAN traffic.  LAN traffic works fine OTB right now.  All I have to do is open a browser and type in the host name of the server (http://HPSERVER) and everything works fine. 

Here's what I did for public setup but its not working on the public side;  I setup port forwarding on my router, external 8080 to internal 80 at ip address 192.168.1.111 (HPSERVER's ip address of course).  I also forwarded ports 443 and 4125 to 192.168.1.111 as well.  I RDP into HPSERVER and ran IIS mgr and added port 8080 to the default website properties without a host header name, and another 8080 with host header name of  HPSERVER.MYDOMAINNAME.COM  using my real domain name naturally.

But when I attempt to access the server from the WAN I get no response.  Did I miss something?

Again, thanks for helping...

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 1:31 PM

Answers

• For your first question, you can't change Windows Home Server to check that a domain other than those supplied by TZO or Microsoft is working correctly. To set the domain itself up, consult ZoneEdit; you will want to point it to your WAN IP address. If your WAN IP address is dynamic, you will need their client software to have it automatically update.

For your second question, what you're trying to do is an unsupported scenario, and might have a negative impact on your server. In addition, I'm not sure what you're trying to do with changing ports will work, and if it does work it's dependent on your router knowing how to change the ports in both directions.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 3:26 PM

All replies

• For your first question, you can't change Windows Home Server to check that a domain other than those supplied by TZO or Microsoft is working correctly. To set the domain itself up, consult ZoneEdit; you will want to point it to your WAN IP address. If your WAN IP address is dynamic, you will need their client software to have it automatically update.

For your second question, what you're trying to do is an unsupported scenario, and might have a negative impact on your server. In addition, I'm not sure what you're trying to do with changing ports will work, and if it does work it's dependent on your router knowing how to change the ports in both directions.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 3:26 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply Ken!  Very much appreciated...

1) Sorry to hear that WHS is so limited to domain configuration.  Oh well...

2)  I'm a static IP address, so no worries there.  I had already configured zone edit to point my host.domain.com to my WAN IP address and used my router to forward 443 to the WHS LAN IP.  So when I use the HTTPS prefix, ALL IS WORKING FINE.  What I can't get working is port 8080 redirection to port 80.  port redirection over a NAT router should be common enough.  What do people do if their ISP blocks port 80?  Essentially, that's the configuration I'm looking to implement...

Any ideas on that?
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 4:02 PM
  • ToxicManChowder said:

What do people do if their ISP blocks port 80?  Essentially, that's the configuration I'm looking to implement...

Any ideas on that?

Use port 443, i.e. https. It's what I do; for security reasons I don't forward port 80 anywhere (even though I could, and it would work fine since my ISP doesn't block that port)...

The alternative is to use another port such as 8080 for the remote access web site (which is what you say you want to do). What you want to do isn't really a standard configuration, and certainly not for a home user. You want to use port 8080 externally, then map that to port 80 internally, then (for a request that originated externally) you want it to go back out to port 8080 again. Whether your router supports that configuration or not I don't know, but since the only thing you ever touch with standard HTTP is http://myserver.mydomain.com, I don't see where it really matters. Your users will have to remember to use HTTPS, or they'll have to remember to append the port number to the URL in the appropriate location.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 5:02 PM
  • Again, thank you Ken.  I'm not a typical home user, as you can probably tell.  My router does port mapping and NAT which manages the 8080 map to 80 and back again.  I'm working on another solution though;

Using a webforward to map http://hpserver.mydomain.com to https://hpserver.mydomain.com which I know works.  That way my family can use a simple to remember host name without having to use the SSL prefix.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 5:37 PM
  • New Problem Found.  Got the site working on the public internet by using Port 443.  However, since I can not configure a dynamic domain name service, because I already have my own domain name, when I send invitations to my photo shares, the link in the email has the LAN Server's name (in this case HPSERVER) and therefore the link is no good!

So, I'll ask the group, how can I configure this properly.  I'm sure it's an easy (once the server behavior is understood).  I can RDP into the server and configure whatever is necessary, I just need someone familiar enough with the services to help me through this.

Thanks...
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 11:31 PM
  • I'm pretty sure the only way you will be able to get that to work is to use one of the dynamic DNS services that are provided with your server, but I'm away from my server at the moment. You can use either the TZO service that HP arranged, or the free homeserver.com address that Microsoft provides. The advantage to using the free one that Microsoft provides is that you also get a free SSL certificate.
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 1:03 AM