Quote Products RRS feed

• Question

•  

How can you easily print multiple related quote products (1 - n) under a single quote using new crm mail merge?

Monday, July 7, 2008 7:39 AM

Answers

• In this blog post:

http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2008/01/15/mscrm-4-0-mail-merge-basics.aspx

Arne Marquez, a software development engineer on the CRM team discusses the basics of mail merge.

In the comments, this question is asked.  Arne's response is a good answer:

Yes CRM 4.0 Mail Merge does support multiple quote products, both existing (from the product catalog) and write-in (not defined in the product catalog) products.

MSWord calls this type of merge a directory merge and before attempting to create your own merge template, you should attempt the merge using our sample "Quote for Customer" template.  With our sample template open, you can use the 'Alt + F9' key sequence to see the structure of the template.  Note: Some calculations will be required to get some of the summary fields your organization requires for the quote document.

The main difference between the directory merge and the typical letter or email merges, is the quote products are merged into a final document in MSWord's "Complete the Merge" task pane.  After the quote products are merged into the final document, this document can be printed out.

MSCRM does a good job of getting the data to MSWord for the merge, but to create the quote template (our most complex sample template), a good deal of MSWord knowlege is required.

Hope this helps out.

Arne

As he suggests, I would start with the default template that is triggered by the "print quote" button, as he suggests.  You will find that while getting the data to Word is fairly painless, displaying N:1 type information in a Word merge document is somewhat tricky.

I have found that, at least for me, it is easier to do this kind of thing from an SRS report.  Here is an example .rdl file that I posted a while ago that you are welcome to take and adapt for your quoting needs

http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2007/09/sales-proposal.html

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 11:08 AM

All replies

• In this blog post:

http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2008/01/15/mscrm-4-0-mail-merge-basics.aspx

Arne Marquez, a software development engineer on the CRM team discusses the basics of mail merge.

In the comments, this question is asked.  Arne's response is a good answer:

Yes CRM 4.0 Mail Merge does support multiple quote products, both existing (from the product catalog) and write-in (not defined in the product catalog) products.

MSWord calls this type of merge a directory merge and before attempting to create your own merge template, you should attempt the merge using our sample "Quote for Customer" template.  With our sample template open, you can use the 'Alt + F9' key sequence to see the structure of the template.  Note: Some calculations will be required to get some of the summary fields your organization requires for the quote document.

The main difference between the directory merge and the typical letter or email merges, is the quote products are merged into a final document in MSWord's "Complete the Merge" task pane.  After the quote products are merged into the final document, this document can be printed out.

MSCRM does a good job of getting the data to MSWord for the merge, but to create the quote template (our most complex sample template), a good deal of MSWord knowlege is required.

Hope this helps out.

Arne

As he suggests, I would start with the default template that is triggered by the "print quote" button, as he suggests.  You will find that while getting the data to Word is fairly painless, displaying N:1 type information in a Word merge document is somewhat tricky.

I have found that, at least for me, it is easier to do this kind of thing from an SRS report.  Here is an example .rdl file that I posted a while ago that you are welcome to take and adapt for your quoting needs

http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2007/09/sales-proposal.html

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 11:08 AM
  •  

Thanks Arne I have tried the solution and it worked perfectly now the problem is that I want to display products in a table (as in my company template) not seperated by Tab (as in sample template). Its a word programming but if anyone can help or give an idea
    Friday, July 11, 2008 9:32 AM
  •   
    I'm trying to populate a table via mail merge.

I cant find a way to tell to Mail merge to populate the table consequentially,
    without creating an entire new table for each record but advancing to a new
    row at every one
    Thanks.

Nazish
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 12:29 PM