Parental Control RRS feed

• Question

• When we set up users, we should be able to specify age or birthdate, so that windows could institute some sort of Parental Control, kinda like the vchip. So if we specify a song or movie a particular rating, it will require a password, unless the user is old enough.
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 10:48 PM

All replies

• For me a more important setting would be to control the logon times, so i can specify that a user can not log on after 9PM and the total log in time should not be over 10 hours/month or so
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 7:15 PM
  • Both items are excellent.  I don't think storing age is necessarily a good thing; the 'rents need a little say.  Perhaps a good set of suggestions.....

The login time / metering idea would be absolutely perfect for us parents that want to make sure our kids don't live online. 

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 8:25 PM
  • Good suggestions,

an easy work around right now is to create different folders with the media in them that you will allow user access too. As for the timing issue, this could be an easy solution through your router. Simply give your server a Static IP and then see if your router will allow traffic to stop during specified times.

Dawg.

Thursday, May 31, 2007 9:25 PM
  • I am currently using a Linksys Router with the DD-WRT firmware to do that job.

I block access to the net based on the computer MAC address, and it works GREAT!

The only way to get the WHS to do that would be to have it do the DHCP and have it do all the routing.

(A general purpose Router will do most of what you need.  I just love the control of the DD-WRT firmware!)

The server is used for computer backup's and remote accessing your home network.  It can do a WHOLE lot more, but most people have no clue HOW to do it.

I would like to see if WHS comes with a Proxy service.  Or if anyone knows where one can be found for it. (Using WHS as a proxt computer with DHCP on.

Saturday, June 2, 2007 8:07 PM
  • This wouldn't necessarily be a feature of WHS as it is not doing any sort of authentication for the local computer logon. With Windows XP or older you would need a domain controller to accomplish this. If you are running Vista, however, this is something that can be accomplished through the use of Parental Controls.

To do this, open the Control Panel and then click the link to "Set up parental controls for any user"; click Continue at the UAC prompt if you've not disabled it. Click the user account you want to apply the logon restrictions to and change the radio button for Parental Controls to "On, enforce current settings" if you are not currently using Parental Controls. Once enabled, the option for Time Limits is ungrayed and you can set the allowed/disallowed times from there.

This will prevent them from logging on when you don't want them to and also forces them off if they are logged on when their blocked time comes up.

I hope this gives you what you are looking for. I know it's not a WHS based solution, but in this case it doesn't need to be.

Cheers!

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 2:44 AM