Creating a WHS web site - Using FrontPage to publish (inc ASP content) RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of trying out WHS and thought it would be good if I could create a home server website, so on another PC I started creating a site in MS FrontPage 2003 and then tried to publish bit can't seem to get it throgh to the WHS machine -

Is there a basic guide to the setting required to let me do this via the local network

I have installed FP2003 extensions on the server.

From a local Win XP Pro PC I can browse to http://server/ and get http://server/home/default.aspx?gotodefault=true 

Beyond this I am a bit lost???

Thanks
    M
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 10:38 PM

Answers

• It's not a supported use of your server, I'm afraid. You might want to look into whiist for basic web site functionality; whiist allows you to add links to your server's web site, create subsites, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 5:33 PM

All replies

• It's not a supported use of your server, I'm afraid. You might want to look into whiist for basic web site functionality; whiist allows you to add links to your server's web site, create subsites, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 5:33 PM
  • Thanks for responding.

It seems strange, as it is possible to include 2002 Server Extensions , IIS is already there and includes "Default web site" and "WHS site"

Is it not possible to remote (local network) manage the "Default Web Site"?

I have had problems getting all this set up correctly in the past on a WinXP pro PC and I guessing that I am back in the same loop - not remembering the settings in IIS???

Thanks
    M
    Monday, January 25, 2010 2:23 AM
  • Thanks for responding.

It seems strange, as it is possible to include 2002 Server Extensions , IIS is already there and includes "Default web site" and "WHS site"

Is it not possible to remote (local network) manage the "Default Web Site"?

I have had problems getting all this set up correctly in the past on a WinXP pro PC and I guessing that I am back in the same loop - not remembering the settings in IIS???

Thanks
    M
    There is no way to "remote manage" the website.  You could edit it from the server, but that's not supported (since it requires logging into the server desktop, which is unsupported) and not a good idea (you could inadvertently break Remote Access by changing settings in IIS).
    Monday, January 25, 2010 2:35 AM
  • Not only remote access, but also basic tasks like installing the Connector software depend from a properly configured IIS. Since there is no available documentation about the exact IIS configuration, making adaptions here may quickly result in a reinstall. As well, as own web sites may not work after any WHS related upgrade.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, January 25, 2010 7:07 PM