What's the difference between Archive and Move my recording to WHS ? RRS feed

• Question

• What's the difference between Archive and Move my recording to WHS ?
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 6:24 PM

Answers

As far as I know, it's the same thing.  What exactly are you referring to?
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 6:50 PM
  • I think you also get the option to compress the files (for zune or other mobile players)
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:01 PM
  • MY bad!   There is a setting in the WHS icon in Extras, Settings--that you can check to have TV recordings copied to the server.  I wonder, however, does Media Center record on C drive and then WHS copies the files to the Recorded TV shared Folder?

Technically it's a "move" (not a "copy"), but yes, that is one of the features of PP3 (archiving to your server).
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:17 PM

All replies

As far as I know, it's the same thing.  What exactly are you referring to?
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 6:50 PM
  • I think you also get the option to compress the files (for zune or other mobile players)
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:01 PM
  • I understand the confusion; Media Center states that you can view prerecorded TV from any folder, but that it will record TV to C:\ drive.  But if you open up the server icon in Media center, it states that TV recording will be there.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:08 PM
  • MY bad!   There is a setting in the WHS icon in Extras, Settings--that you can check to have TV recordings copied to the server.  I wonder, however, does Media Center record on C drive and then WHS copies the files to the Recorded TV shared Folder?
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:14 PM
  • Further testing will resolve this issue, but for those that are impatient, will Archive actually convert files ? and keep them on the c: drive ? Then should it not then be called Convert ? Will Move, move my recorded TV files only to the WHS or will it include the Archive format also ?

Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:14 PM

Technically it's a "move" (not a "copy"), but yes, that is one of the features of PP3 (archiving to your server).
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:17 PM
  • If I understand correctly:
    * Selecting "Move" will move your recording to the server's "Recorded TV" share.
    * Selecting "Create a compressed copy" will conevert the recording to a new file at the output destination selected for this option.
    The selections above will operate on the "series" and "program" you manually selected (checkbox).

If one selects "Archive all recordings automtically", Media center will select all programs and series automatically for Moving and/or conversion.

-Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:20 PM