firewall blocking xp from acessing central backup RRS feed

• Question

• My hub is a vista ultimate computer which has an external usb as the backup drive. My vista laptop has no problem backing up to it but my new acer netbook with xp has issues. The XP one tells me it can't access the central backup device. If I turn off the firewall in onecare on my hub it will allow the xp computer to backup to the central device. What do I need to change to fix this so I con't have to turn off my firewall everytime I want to backup.
    • Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Tuesday, March 10, 2009 3:11 PM backup topic (Moved from Windows Live OneCare Multi-PC Management to Windows Live OneCare Backup and Restore)
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 3:02 AM

Answers

All replies

• See this Microsoft Knowledge Base article to troubleshoot this issue - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943915
    Jim
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:05 AM
  • All three computers are connected to the network and all are part of the one care circle and have my home network set as home.  It is an xp accessing vista issue as my other vista computer can access it fine. Im assuming the issue is simmilar to the RDP issue with trying to access Vista from an XP computer where vista considers xp to be a security threat and keep its out. Which required a registry change to allow it to work.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 1:27 PM
  • If you've followed the steps in the article Jim linked to and it hasn't helped and you have confirmed that the Hub machine's firewall settings are Home/Work and File and Printer Sharing enabled for subnet, you can try enabling the second option fo File and Printer Sharing on the hub machine's advanced firewall - Internet and local subnet. If that still fails to allow it to work, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 3:11 PM