Folder Duplication problem RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Windows Home Server on January 8th and enabled folder duplication.

It is my understanding that my primary files are stored in D:\shares\ for example and the duplicates are stored in D\DE\shares\.

A couple of days ago I was looking for some files and went into the 'duplicate' folders under D\DE.  I noticed all the folders had the same "date modified" of 1/10/09.  I have added a number of folder to my primary location D:\shares\ since then - but they do not appear to have been duplicated.  I turned off duplication and yesterday I turned it back on.  I also created a new folder named 3/4/09 - but as of today, it has failed to be duplicated in the D\DE\shares location.

It does not appear that my files are being duplicated properly - how can I fix this or troubleshoot further?
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 10:29 PM

Answers

• GitSum_ said:

I installed Windows Home Server on January 8th and enabled folder duplication.

It is my understanding that my primary files are stored in D:\shares\ for example and the duplicates are stored in D\DE\shares\.

No, that is incorrect.  D:\shares are only tombstones, not real files.

GitSum_ said:

A couple of days ago I was looking for some files and went into the 'duplicate' folders under D\DE.

You shouldn't be accessing the server at all through the desktop (and espeically messing with the file system).

GitSum_ said:

I noticed all the folders had the same "date modified" of 1/10/09.  I have added a number of folder to my primary location D:\shares\ since then - but they do not appear to have been duplicated.  I turned off duplication and yesterday I turned it back on.  I also created a new folder named 3/4/09 - but as of today, it has failed to be duplicated in the D\DE\shares location.

It does not appear that my files are being duplicated properly - how can I fix this or troubleshoot further?

Are you accesssing your shares through \\servername\sharename?  If not, that may be your problem (any other method is unsupported).
    Friday, March 6, 2009 4:23 AM
  • Please try the Duplication Info Add-in
    Friday, March 6, 2009 3:58 PM
  • You might want to take a look at the Drive Extender technical brief for more information concerning how DE works.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 3:04 PM

All replies

• GitSum_ said:

I installed Windows Home Server on January 8th and enabled folder duplication.

No, that is incorrect.  D:\shares are only tombstones, not real files.

GitSum_ said:

A couple of days ago I was looking for some files and went into the 'duplicate' folders under D\DE.

You shouldn't be accessing the server at all through the desktop (and espeically messing with the file system).

GitSum_ said:

I noticed all the folders had the same "date modified" of 1/10/09.  I have added a number of folder to my primary location D:\shares\ since then - but they do not appear to have been duplicated.  I turned off duplication and yesterday I turned it back on.  I also created a new folder named 3/4/09 - but as of today, it has failed to be duplicated in the D\DE\shares location.

Are you accesssing your shares through \\servername\sharename?  If not, that may be your problem (any other method is unsupported).
    Friday, March 6, 2009 4:23 AM
  • Please try the Duplication Info Add-in
    Friday, March 6, 2009 3:58 PM
  • You might want to take a look at the Drive Extender technical brief for more information concerning how DE works.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 3:04 PM